Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jodi Barrows' "Square in a Square" ruler

Jodi Barrows' "Square in a Square" ruler

A local Sewing and Quilting store is having a seminar (costing $10) featuring the above-named ruler. Is anyone familiar with it? If so, I would like to know about your experience and opinions. Thanks so much.

Yes. I've attended a couple of Jodi Barrows trunk shows and loved them. I use that ruler for all sorts of things. While mostly for square in a square, I think I also used it for a pineapple pattern.The price of the seminar is worth it.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I have also taken a class on the ruler. As AliKat mentions, there are lots of blocks you can make. I also got one of her books.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

the ruler is necessary to do her patterns and they are great because you sew first and cut later. 1/4 inch seams are never a problem.

Funny story about the Square in Square ruler. I bought the ruler and book package at my guild's sale table. I had it in my hands and put it down on another table. I had my back to it while talking and during that time someone picked it up and re bought it. She then put it down and forgot it and walked off. When she remembered it someone else had re re bought it. We discovered it had been bought Four times! I picked it up from the first buyer when she set it down. LOL We laughed and gave it back to the first buyer.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have the ruler, I should try it again I guess. I made a project that ended up with having the tips of the pieces all chopped off.... I put the ruler away...

Blog Entries
    Have had ruler and book for quite awhile but never tried it - was highly recommended by a friend - one day I will pull it out and try it
    Deb

I have this ruler and some books of hers. I use it a lot and find it helpful for many patterns.
    "Finish each day and be done with it ..... Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely."

I have the ruler and the book filed away. I use Teresa Down Under subscribed free videos and suggestions. She shows the simple way of a square within a square that is easy and simple to do. No rulers necessary.

I love this ruler. Have been using it for a long time and when I need to make a lot of the same blocks for a swap, I can always find a way to use one of her patterns and quick cut methods to make up an assembly line that is super quick. The SNS method makes the blocks look much more complicated than they really are and I don't lose points (super hard for me to avoid).

This is a great tool, but like all tools, you have to pay attention to details. I have had the old version for years and still use it!

I watched her on I think A Simply Quilts show? Can't remember. Anyway, I did her technique with a regular ruler. It is nifty how it works. I never bought any patterns or rulers.
    Alyce