Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"?? >

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Does anyone else hate making the quilt "sandwich"??

Old 10-19-2011, 11:49 AM

I love piecing and quilting and binding....I just hate making that sandwich. I wish I had a wall to do it on. My cutting table just isnt big enough to lay it all on, and I cant work on the floor because it kills my back. I dont have room for a larger cutting table. I think that may be the hardest part...at least for me...but then I am not good enough to do really complicated quilts.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM

I have a king size bed and lay them out on that to sandwich....I put down an old flat sheet and use basting spray....I will never do another quilt on the floor again and no more pins!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Kas

I'm not a big fan, either. I have to sandwich my neice's quilt here pretty soon, so I am thinking of going to the lqs and using their tables to do it. Usually I am down on my knees on the floor. Blech
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I can't handle the floor, either. I don't make really large quilts so this works for me. I lay as much of the quilt as will fit on the table and tape it down. What doesn't fit gets taped to the underside of the table. I pin what is on the table and then I remove the tape, move the quilt over for the remainder and tape again. It seems to work pretty well. Might be a problem for a king or queen but I think it would work for pretty much anything else.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I have a king size bed and lay them out on that to sandwich....I put down an old flat sheet and use basting spray....I will never do another quilt on the floor again and no more pins!
That is what I do as well. I haven't had a problem with overspray or any damage to the bed or linens. I do use an old fitted sheet and and old duvet cover.

If you have a large enough bed try it. It works great!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 PM

I hate it. I don't baste anymore.. I make the sandwich on the floor and then clip the edges. I put the center of the quilt on my floor frame and quilt the center of the quilt. Then I usually use my wood hoop and work my way around the quilted part. I just make sure everything is smooth and even in the frame/hoop before I start quilting.

I don't know how it works with Machine quilting, tho :) But that's how I hand quilt and it works great. I can make the sandwich in minutes. I do wear knee pads when I am on the floor too lol
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

I hate that part too.

I volunteered to quilt charity quilts for my guild provided they came to me basted :) (We have lots of women who love to make tops, but fewer who enjoy quilting)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM

I haste basting too, we don't seem to have any walls I can use, so we are getting the kids ;-) ;-) a table tennis table.
I'm hoping it will work quite well to spray baste on :lol:
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM

I don't really mind it to much yet. Of course I've not made any really large quilts that require me spreding it all out on the floor. I find it soothing to spread the backing fabric out, then the batting and then the top. I spray baste so that help, but I also so secure with safety pins. I just don't want any slipping.

When I get to one I have to do on the floor, then yes I think I will hate it.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM

That's how I baste my quilts except I thread baste. Hope you will enjoy the
process as much as I do. I find it very relaxing.
http://www.kathykwylie.com/blog/2011...t-in-sections/