Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"? >

Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"?

Does anyone own a Viking "Mega Quilter"?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM

I have the Phaff equivalent. Have it on New Generation frame, but have used it to free motion quilt on a table. Used a top stitch needle with larger eye and no problems with thread breakage. Used King Tut superior thread. I have done up to a extra large twin on it, and am sure larger would be okay also as I had no problem with space just puddling the quilt.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Unhappy Viking mega quilter

I have just purchased a used mega quilter and am having a terrible time with the thread tension... it is set up on a New generation grace frame and has a Quilter's cruise control... I have no idea why the tension does not stay the same across the area being quilted...

Can anyone give me some suggestions....???????????
Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Default re sewing machines

I have the singer confidence quilter. It was in the shop 4 times in 12 months I would not buy that machine.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I have this machine and that is an awesome price for it. First of all, yes it only does straight stitching but that doesn't mean it can only quilt. I love to piece with it as well. It comes with the free motion foot but you have to get the walking foot separtely. It is a super fast machine but I keep mine as low as it goes because I'm not that fast. It loves Aurofil thread; that is what Viking recommends and I had started using it before I got the machine so that was great. I've used other thread and have had no issues with it. I love the needle up/down and the thread cutter and the needle threader on it. I was offered to trade mine in on my new Ruby but I declined. First of all I would have lost $500 for 1yrs worth of ownership so that wasn't good, but if the machine had ticked me off at all I would have jumped at the chance to get rid of it. Plus it's a great machine and I want one that I can set up to quilt with, one that I know will do the job and even though I know there are larger throat plates out there the 9in are good for me. My Ruby has 9 1/2. I would buy a Viking way before I'd buy a Singer. They aren't what they once was. My daughter has my 26yr old singer and it's going good but they aren't always as reliable as they once were. Not to offend anyone and Iknow some have good luck with them as with all machines; there are good ones and bad ones. I just noticed that yours comes with a walking foot; that makes it even a better deal. It does do FM.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Calico Grammy View Post
Thanks so much for the info! Does everyone use this machine with a quilting frame? I do not have a frame.
I don't use mine with a frame. I'm getting ready to put it on a small frame that only does crib sizes but it will be a first on a frame. I didn't want to put mine on a frame before I got the Viking Ruby because I loved the way it sews and it was too much of a pain to take it off; now I can put it on one because if I want to do something off of it my Ruby has a large throat as well.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cdmlr View Post
I have just purchased a used mega quilter and am having a terrible time with the thread tension... it is set up on a New generation grace frame and has a Quilter's cruise control... I have no idea why the tension does not stay the same across the area being quilted...

Can anyone give me some suggestions....???????????
When was the last time it was serviced and did you buy it from a LQS; if so you may be able to get them to check it out. My LQS gave my 6 mos on my used (7hrs used) Ruby You might need to get it serviced to make sure it's nothing major wrong. I've never had a problem with my tension; check to make sure it's threaded correctly; top and bobbin.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Calico Grammy View Post
Thank you! I'm still debating! Some say they have problems with the tension and breaking thread.
I've had mine for more than a yr and no problems with thread breaking or tension. It's a dream machine is all that I can say and you have the option to get one at a really good price. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM

I have the Viking Mega Quilter (8" throat) and have it set up on a rail system for quilting. I love mine and have no problems. That is a good price! I paid more for mine when it was new. I also have the Q-Bot (computerized) assessory.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

I have the Mega quilter. I use it for all of my FMQ. I don't use the frame because it is easier for me. I've had it for 5 yrs. It only gave me problems when I had thread wrapped around the wheel. My fault. I've had it cleaned only once in 5 years.
I didn't know it had a walking foot. I paid more than 799.00
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I have the Pfaff branded version of this machine. Mine is set up on a frame for quilting, I don't even know if I have the regular foot for it! I paid $1600 for my machine and frame used. Other than user error, I am very happy with my machine.