Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone do fancy quilts or does anyone...

Are there any of you out there that just do block quilts for family and friends, or do most of you do all these fancy patterns

Blog Entries
    My quilts are not fancy, I make them to be used, laundered and loved :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    No sure what you mean by "fancy" patterns. My favorite pattern is still the 9-patch with an alternate block. I also love Jacob's Ladder and Attic Window. I think the fabric can make those look fabulously fancy.

One of my all-time favourites is still just simple blocks of color. I'm working on one now that is just alternating beige and red 6" squares. It's as simple as they come. I tend to have several (ok, dozens) of projects going at once, and they are a variety, from super simple to more complex. My most complex at the moment is a lonestar with a drunkard's path border. The simple projects tend to get more attention. I find that I have a very low threshold for complexity in quilts. I quickly find them not to my liking if they have too much going on. I prefer simple, very geometric patterns.

The "fanciest" quilt I've done is the one I'm working on right now, it's snowball blocks with a few pin wheels ...sooo...barely fancy. I've done Warm Wishes and D9P for family members...they look fancier, but they really aren't.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could just add a few appliques to the standard alternating blocks, i.e. yo yo flowers with small vine in corner, a dragonfly for those who love them, small bird, or child's design. There are so many designs out there with the new Accuquilt cutters that are really inexpensive. You can even get designs from coloring books, tons of downloads on the net. Google the designs you like and you will be amazed at what can be downloaded...free!

There is NOTHING wrong with the less fancy quilts. The fabrics can make all the difference! Whatever you choose, do it because you enjoy the process. If it becomes a burden, you will quit. Quilting is to be loved and enjoyed!

Fancy or plain it doesn't matter at our house. They are all loved.

Agree all quilts are loved. Right now I am working on two...the hunters star for my nephew and an appliqued flower pot for my mom. One is more "fancy" piecing while the other is more basic.

I find I am doing fancier quilting on mom's and will probably go more basic on dn's.

I try to pick a quilt pattern that interests me...sometimes those are fancy and other times more simple. My next one is going to be a String X quilt.....I am not sure it can get simpler!

I've done both and all were loved. To me, that's the most important thing.

In the past I have done applique {hand done} quilts that seem to go on and on, but these days, simple is better for me. Trip around the world or traditional log cabin or just random block quilts are fun and wonderful and to me, look great. And those who I give them too are thrilled to get them!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast