Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does fabric quality differ?

I buy what I like and what I can afford.
    I've bought fabric from LQS and it has fallen apart. Have bought from Walmart and the stuff still looks brand new even with a 4 yr old toting the quilt around everyday.
    So, my thought on the whole thing is.....doesn't matter whether you buy from Walmart, Joann's, LQS...you can get bad fabric everywhere.

I am so glad I read this. I have wondered the same thing. I can't afford the high dollar stuff at the quilt shops but I love to quilt so most of my fabric is from Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart if I can find one that still sells material. Haven't had any noticeable problems, but I am very new at this and probably wouldn't know I had a problem with the material or not. I always figure I did it wrong. Thanks so much for everyones input.

If I like it I buy it where ever it comes from..sometime quilt shops has a lower end fabric that seems to be about like hobby lobby and even wal-mart...at least the one close to where I live does...and when you live far away and need something quick wal -mart is all I have..and some of there fabric looks good and has washed good! Hey in the old days they quilted with flour sacks and old shirts whatever they could find!!!

I agree with most that buying fabric can be a crap shoot unless you know exactly what you are doing. I do not as of yet. But I think it is horrible how manufacturers can sell me a fabric that is first or second run and not tell me!! I don't think where you buy should be the determining factor. I feel they should have to tell you it is not top quality. Clothing manufacturers do. I feel deceived when I hear this. But that is just MHO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I agree with most that buying fabric can be a crap shoot unless you know exactly what you are doing. I do not as of yet. But I think it is horrible how manufacturers can sell me a fabric that is first or second run and not tell me!! I don't think where you buy should be the determining factor. I feel they should have to tell you it is not top quality. Clothing manufacturers do. I feel deceived when I hear this. But that is just MHO.
    You know, I think that's a very good idea. I'd like to know whether a fabric is 1st, 2nd or 3rd run too! Maybe they should be required to print it on the bolt end.

I like to buy where I can feel the fabric. Some feel wonderful and others like a stiff scratch pad. If it feels good and I like it, I buy it. This usually works for me.

All shops selling fabric other than quilt shops sell lower quality fabric. Even stores selling last year fabrics, overruns, etc. usually have a lower quality - for example, they could have defects and flaws or the "finishing" on the fabric was left off. Eamine the fabric at these stores closely prior to purchase. Chain stores such as JoAnn, WalMart, Hobby Lobby - all lower quality and for me, I will not spend all my time and effort on something that is not "quality". My time and effort are "quality" to me so that's how I look at it. I don't mean to sound snobby at all - I just value what I do. This is my 2 cents worth!!!

The fabric has less threads per inch usually at walmart and the feel to the hand is not great at all. Since we use our quilts I prefer them to feel good too. Also if your putting tons of time into something I think its worth a tiny bit more on good fabric. JoAnnes sells some of the same fabrics a lot of quilt shops sell you just have to look at the names. Usually their $4.99 or less fabric is pretty equal to walmarts.

I really love all the insight I'm getting here! :) I hope you don't mind - I know I will be asking a lot more questions like this!

Unfortunately I don't think there is a "right" answer. I have found quality fabric at WalMart, and no so good quality fabric at quilt shops. I have found that I prefer certain manufacturers over others. Also, the same manufacturer can make a high quality fabric for one customer and a lesser quality fabric for another. So, bottom line is take each piece individually and decide if it's the quality you want to use. I do believe most quilt shops try to carry quality fabric, but that's not always the case. Hopefully I haven't confused you even more. :D

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast