Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It Doesn't Really Bother Me >

It Doesn't Really Bother Me

It Doesn't Really Bother Me

Old 04-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

I hate when that happens. If it's just in one place and it won't show and it would be a pain to fix it then I'll leave it. But if I notice a bunch of them it will really bug me so I rip and re sew all of them.

Cari
Old 04-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Happens to me too,I just clip the seam and iron them all the same way, and keep going.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:35 PM

It bothers me. The first quilt I made was a disappearing 9 patch. I followed all the directions exactly (the 1/4 seam wasn't so exact). When I started to reassemble the 9 patches, lots of the seams wouldn't match. It was too late to change anything. I felt really misled. I'll never make another d9p.

Unless I don't notice it, I'll fix it.

bkay
Old 04-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

This is something that every quilter deals with... Sometimes I leave them, sometimes I rip and resew them, sometimes I clip. They all seem to work out. Your batting is going to give your 3D seams somewhere to 'nest', so don't worry too much about getting them completely flat.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM

I am glad that I am not the only one who has wavering seams. As hard as I try, sometimes it just happens!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:37 AM

I check continually as I sew pieces together and fix these as I find them. Twisted seams really bother me and I cannot ignore them unless I discover one late in the assembling process when it means opening several seams to correct.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:49 AM

I don't fix them unless it's a dark that will show through a very light fabric. Mostly I just starch and smash flat, if it's too bulky I will sometimes clip, or use a hammer to give it a couple of whacks....

I do all my own quilting and have never had a problem...

is it something that is more likely to cause problems for long arm (frame) quilting.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 AM

That happens sometimes; it bothers me greatly; I always rip a bit and restitch. Those areas, if not repaired, can cause another set of difficulties in the quilting process. I know it happens because the seam gets caught in the feed dogs so I try to be careful at each intersection. I check each finished seam as I go.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I've had that happen even when pinning and holding. I just clip near the intersecting seam and press the way i wanted it to go. works fine.
That is the way I do it. After all you snip curves when making clothes so why not quilts?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:52 AM

Twisted seams are not major in my book, but I like patterns that say which way to press the seam.
Making furled seams, sometimes called spinning the seams, helps a lot. All seams nest that way.

When I taught my stars class, I had students press each seam as it was made: with background to your left, press away from you. When all seams are finished, your iron will spin all the way around the quilt block. All seams will be the same way around the circle. Then twist the very center of the last seam so that each half goes the opposite direction. They have to follow the direction of the other seams. Mush that center down very well and you will have less bulk there. A rubber hammer works, too.

Now when you add border or sashing, all those seams are the same way. Sew with them pointing toward you so they don't flip the wrong way.

If you sew these blocks together without sashing, all seams will nest.

Last edited by maviskw; 04-30-2017 at 05:55 AM.