Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't think I can do this. >

Don't think I can do this.

Don't think I can do this.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Loved the minkey as a backing. No batting! My friend LA we put the low stretch side so it did not distort as she quilted it. It made a cuddly sweet quilt - top side cotton patch work & back with the minkey. The mom & toddler loved it.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 AM

I have long armed and domestic machine quilted with Minky, as other have said when doing on domestic be sure and spray. I much prefer doing Minky with the longarm machine. I have never had a problem using the longarm to quilt Minky, I just be sure and have the stretchiest direction of the Minky go left and right when loading and use very little pressure if any when clamping. For the design I have used many different pantographs, from Roses to Western and they all worked out super. I have also done a floor length Double sized Deer Quilt (for my son) that used a King size bedding Minky (purchased on vacation because he loved the softness and feel) for the back that long armed Super too.
The slipiness would be a concern also to me for a baby, so would be very careful in the way it was used, though for warmth and softness it would be great. A wonderful bedding or floor quilt.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:22 AM

I do minki backs all the time. I even do minki on the front and back. I have no problems. As was suggested, load the minki with the selvage on the leader cloth. Be careful not to stretch the fabric side to side with the clamps. They should be tight but not stretched. Batting is up to you. I usually put a batt in them, warm and natural or 80/20, but you can do it without too. Good luck, don't be afraid of it. Minki shows the quilting beautifully.