Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't think I can do this. >

Don't think I can do this.

Don't think I can do this.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 AM

Looking forward to more info on this. I'm planning a quilt for my first grandchild (that sounds so strange to say...my first grandchild!) and was thinking of minky for the backing.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I have never used minky and don't think I would. My quilts are too warm with just polyester batting.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I will pass along all suggestions. Of course she is wanting to try birthing . This is going to be one warm quilt, I feel the LQS took advantage of her. They helped her choose pattern,fabric (fannel), batting (warm & natural) & minky backing. All for a baby quilt.LOL. She has enough fabric for 3 quilts, the other amounts are fine.
It sounds too hot and heavy for a baby quilt. I would worry about the baby getting overheated.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 AM

When I my daughter wanted to use it, we used a walking foot (a must), you can spray the backing to make it stay in place more. I had her do a stitch in the ditch and then she tied it, in lieu of doing more quilting. The first time she tried to use this fabric, it was without the w. foot, it turned out ok but so much better the second time. You might also want to use a needle meant for stretch fabrics too.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Tell me more about this issue please. I'm about to do two baby quilts with minky backing. I never considered that it might be slippery. I just thought it would be drape better than flannel and be a nice texture for the babies to cuddle against. I'm planning to quilt them on my long arm.
Fleece is another good option too.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Fleece is another good option too.
That's plan B, but I'd really hoped to use the minky since I've already got the perfect color and amount on hand. I've got a little time to think about it yet. I learn so much from this board.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM

I've used minky successfully, both on the long arm and my domestic machine. The long arm is easier, I think -- just don't stretch it. Otherwise, sandwich and baste well in your favorite way and be patient. I make baby quilts larger than the norm, and as the child grows, he/she seems to love the minky backing more and more.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Once I tried birthing of these baby quilts many years back. (The baby is now in third grade!) Notice I said once! It just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I love the feel of minky but I HATE sewing with it.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Minky stretches more one way than the other. If I was going to FMQ with Minky on the back I would leave out the batt and use 505 spray baste before starting on my domestic sewing machine. I don't know how it would work with a long arm but there are members who use it on QB.
I've used Minky as a backing for a baby quilt and quilted it on my DSM. I spray baste using the 505. I start by spray basting the top to the batting and then baste the Minky to the batting. When I spray baste, I fold over the top piece to half way down, spray a section across the bottom and smooth the top over what I sprayed. Continue till you've reached the end, then repeat at the other end. Same thing when I do the backing. I never have a problem with shifting or puckering. When working with Minky as a backing, it's best to follow a design from the front for a simple quilting pattern and USE a Walking Foot!! That is so important with Minky as the backing. Good luck to your friend, I'm sure the quilt will be wonderful!!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I backed the minkee with lightweight fusible, I used Misty Fuse, before using it for a backing. No stretching all.
Did you just fuse the edges or the entire back of the minkee?