Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downloaded patterns >

Downloaded patterns

Downloaded patterns

Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005
maybe start with catagories, like, tabletoppers, mug rugs, baby, holiday, kids, traditional, contemporary, art, urban. the catagories really are up to you.
I have a lot of pics on my laptop under quilting ideas, then filed in folders like this. Also, types like irish chain, bargellos, french braid, stars, 9 patch, etc. I also download patterns in PDF or Word docs. I don't actually waste paper printing until I am ready to actually use the pattern. No room to spare in the sewing room.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
instead of having ring bound get the plastic sheet dividers. I use those and that way all the pages go in one sheet protector. If the pattern is just one page I put 2 in there each facing outward so I see the other when I turn the page. After that I make a table in MSWord and the first column is a small pic of the pattern and the second column tells me material list and 3rd is what page in binder. This worked for me for years - now I keep all on a flash drive. One folder is just a picture of each I can scroll thru without waiting on files to open and the other is the actual pattern. Saves so much paper.
I do it this way also. I have not made an index yet but do divide the various patterns into different binders.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

I also use the plastic sheet protectors so I can put multiple pages into one page. I kind of divide them by purpose, wall quilt, bed, etc. But I like going through all of them when I am looking for ideas,, so I'm not too caught up in actually having them organized.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM

i put all of mine in the sheet protectors, then put them into categories. I go thru them every now and again and weed them out, but mostly keep all of them!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I too use the sheet protectors.
I have many 3-ring binders filled with patterns that appealed to me - cut from magazines and downloaded.
Scrap Quilts is the largest, Easy & Charity, Jelly Rolls, Tips and Techniques, Batiks are a few of them.
yes, same here. and aren't they fun to thumb thru on a rainy day ? get new ideas always. I took mine to Sew Day and
everyone had a turn at them.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by catray
I download quilt patterns and I will probably never get to them all. But I would like to take to local office supply to have ring bound. What I don't know is how to sort and put into like patterns and or like whatever. Any ideas please!
Just a suggestion - I arrange mine according to subj. matter, as someone else listed, table toppers, tree skirts, etc. then my quilts according to patterns, log cabins, pinwheels, diamonds etc. Instead of having them ring bound, I purchase a box or more, of plastic sleeve protectors form Wal Mart or Sams, and three ring binders, then I can insert my patterns into the plastic sleeves and arrange them accordingly in the 3 ring binders. It is really handy for me, and you can always add to the binder this way,where you could not if you had them spiral bound at an office supply. This is just my way or storing my patterns. I always did this with my different subj. matter for my classroom when I was teaching, and could pull the info. out and use year after year, without damaging the original by tearing it or whatever.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 AM

I have file folders on my laptop hard drive -- thety are categorized as Quilt patterns, Children & preemie quilts, Quilts of Valor, Small projects, Bags & wallets, Stitcheries, and Techniques. If I want to print a pattern out I copy it onto a thumb drive or email it to myself so that I can print it out on my printer downstairs. I have 2 binder notebooks and I put printouts into plastic sleeves and use the same categories as on my hard drive to file items in the notebooks.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Use plastic sheet protectors, then multiple pages won't be a problem. then get several sets of 3-ring dividers (usually come in set of 5) Categories could be holidays, babies, teen, etc.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM

It's important to put your patterns into subject matter that you will remember, what works for you. I have my patterns in sheet protectors then placed in white binders of various sizes. Then, I alphabetize the binders. I have categories such as Applique, Apparel, BOM's, Easy, Holiday, Lap/Medium, Large quilts, My Favorites, Scrappy, Table runners & Wall hangings, etc.

I do look through them quite often for ideas or to use a saved pattern. I have become more thoughtful about printing off only those patterns I really expect to use or that will be of some benefit to me at some point - like for particular techniques, etc.

The ones I save but not print are on my computer and then regularly backed up to a thumb drive. Funny, I do have the projects on my computer files by type or shape: stars, log cabin, etc. - so, I may be rethinking how I file them in binders one day.

I would be most interested in learning how to keep the spreadsheet info that was mentioned earlier. Would be a wonderful cross reference. :-)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
instead of having ring bound get the plastic sheet dividers. I use those and that way all the pages go in one sheet protector. If the pattern is just one page I put 2 in there each facing outward so I see the other when I turn the page. After that I make a table in MSWord and the first column is a small pic of the pattern and the second column tells me material list and 3rd is what page in binder. This worked for me for years - now I keep all on a flash drive. One folder is just a picture of each I can scroll thru without waiting on files to open and the other is the actual pattern. Saves so much paper.
This is an awesome way to have a handy cross reference guide, too. Would you be willing to do a tutorial or point me in the right direction to instructions so I could set up my own system?

Thanks,