Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dream Green Batting >

Dream Green Batting

Dream Green Batting

Old 08-26-2016, 12:52 AM

I love the krinkily look too much to change. But I am sure this has its place as a required option.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:12 PM

I recently did a whole slew of test pieces, specifically searching for a batting that does NOT crinkle after washing. I do not like the look...maybe a LITTLE crinkle, but not much. I am gearing up to do a quilt made specifically to go on a four poster bed that has been in my mother's family since the Civil War. (It was bought second hand, so it is even older than that, but we don't know by how much.) The poor thing has never had a proper cover that FITS, because it is a non-standard size AND has those posts, which means that a normal bedspread has to be bunched up to go around the posts. (And yes, I know the crinkled look would be more "correct" for an antique style quilt, especially since I am using all reproduction fabrics, but I don't like the look!)

Which is my long-winded way of saying that I have tried Green Dream, on a limited basis, in one of those test samples. It was only washed, and then hung to dry, so I can't speak to how a drier will affect things. (I don't have a drier.) But I can say that it shows NO sign of crinkle at all after one wash in a front loader with a pile of towels and other test sandwiches. I intend to wash it again soon, and put it in a relative's drier to further the test.

I went on to use it in several QAYG blocks (for a different quilt, not the one for the four poster) and I can say that it quilts nicely. My personal wish is that it be thicker. I am considering doubling it up when I start doing the actual quilt. (Hmmm...maybe I should test that first....)
Old 08-26-2016, 02:46 PM

Interesting, I may give that batting a try after all.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 PM

I have used Dream Green several times, and enjoyed several things about it. First is how it drapes - it handles really well when your quilting it (I've quilted it both on my DSM and on my LA - no problems at all), and I like how smooth it lies across my bed. And since I said something about the smoothness, as others have said, there is minimal "crinkle" - and I think that was mostly due to the cotton fabric, and not the batting. If that "smoothness" is what you're looking for, Dream Green is terrific. And finally, I really like the idea that using this product removes at least a LITTLE bit of trash from the landfill.

And as far as the comment about the product emitting fumes/gases... I think you would need to be more concerned with pretty much anything else in your home emitting gases... your carpet, leftover dryer sheets, and more. There are far more "gas emissions" from other places than the synthetic batts.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I just had a quilt quilted with Green..I too liked the drape and reusing resources...hasn't been washed but like how it lays on the bed..
Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I first bought Dream Green because it was made of recycled material. It has a nice drape to it and machine quilts beautifully. Because of the slight green tint to it, it will show through white or very lights colors. It doesn't shrink, so the quilt doesn't get that crinkly look. The quilt also ends up lighter in weight than with traditional cotton batting, which may sometimes be an asset. Overall I like Dream Green.
I agree with everything gramajo said. Great to worth with, soft and had a nice drape, washed and dried just fine! Just don't use it with white fabrics.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 AM

YES! I used it in a quilt for a person who was always cold. It washed well and didn't get all crinkly like the Hobbs 80/20 which I also use. For that quilt, it worked terrifically well. Also, it was a gift for someone who doesn't quilt and wouldn't appreciate the crinkled look. (They probably would have tried to iron it!) Washes and dries well. Can't say enough good things about this product...if you want a quilt that is light in weight, but warm.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:02 AM

I haven't used this batting, but I don't see why there should be a problem, because fleece is frequently made from plastic bottles and is reknowned for its ease of drying.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:31 AM

I love Dream Green. Handles well and draped beautifully. My only "ought" is that 505 basting spray does not adhere to it and I prefer to spray baste when FMQ on my Janome. But other than that one issue, I really like it.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:04 AM

I'm another that likes natural fibers due to the fire risk. Granted, I'm married to a fireman but also am aware of the melting risks due to other influences. As well as having lived through a house fire as a child. I presently have a roll of W&N that I am (slowly) using up. After that will probably switch to Quilter's Dream 100% cotton. due to the enhanced drape.

Synthetic fibers melt to the skin - they do not burn. I will stick with 100% natural fibers - cotton; wool; silk.