Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy and inexpensive Quilting table >

Easy and inexpensive Quilting table

Easy and inexpensive Quilting table

Old 11-26-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Easy and inexpensive Quilting table

There have been some posts recently about extension tables for sewing machines. While looking at a QAYG tutorial by Marguereta McManus I saw a series of videos on making an extension table and the ways to adapt it for quilting larger quilts. She gave credit to QB members for input. Here's the YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyShortcutQuilts. Check partway down the page. If you have more than one machine it will save you lots of money. I'm interested to know if anyone on the Board has made one. If so what are the pluses and minuses? The ingenuity of quilters never fails to amaze me. Joyce with the pack in DE waiting for the rain.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM

Yes my DH made me this table using foam. I LOVE it!! I keep it up all the time but you can take it apart if needed and only put it up when quilting. It make a great work surface. I only have 1 table since I have seperate area for cutting and use my ironing board (one of these days I will make that bigger.) Buying a table and setting the table at a lower height is a great idea. Actually I had an old table that my Dh cut the legs off to make it lower and the correct height for me. Here is a link to my QB posting/pic of my area!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...le-t96275.html
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM
amh

They work great. I made one from some packing that we were tossing at work. Covered it with heavy plastic and everything slides well. Cost me almost nothing to make. I do, however, occasionally spray the plastic with silicone spray and wipe it off. Then things really slide around.

Pluses: Inexpensive, works well, you can make it whatever size you want (eg. to totally cover the table you are using to sew).
Minuses: Not easy to transport, but anything that size wouldn't be easy to transport.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM

I just watched all the videos. What a great idea. My sewing table is falling apart and I doubt will withstand another move, so I will be taking her advice for the next one. Thank you so much for posting the information.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM

My DH and I made me one as well (actually 2 since I have 2 machines). For me there was no correct height of the table, so we had to cut some wood blocks to go under the legs. Another plus of the vinyl covering is you can slide directions (or grandkid pics) underneath. It helps with back and shoulder strain if sewing for long periods of time.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Thanks for this info.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 PM

I made one and I love it....
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 PM

DH made one for me and it was great! Since then he has mounted the machine into the counter, twice -- since I bought a new machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t121567.html