Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Making the Sewing Extension

  1. #1
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    It's working so far, or at least he is. He's wearing a T-shirt I sun dyed at an ASG meet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    He is actually gluing four 1" layers together now. Should be perfect height for the machine. Now how to figure out how to make the vinyl fit.

  3. #3
    Super Member Bonbonary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,312
    Blog Entries
    3
    I saw the video on that & it seemed like a great idea. Wish I could hire your worker..now that he knows how the table is made!

  4. #4
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    You can have him. Right after he gets done cooking dinner. lol j/k he has decided to cook burgers on the grill.

  5. #5
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Forgot to mention, the project is on hold, supposedly waiting for the layers to dry.

  6. #6
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    It's done, and worked out well. We used four 1" deep foam insulation sheets (the hard stuff, two 24" x 8' sheets cut roughly in half with the ends leftover to fill in the gap behind) and the debt was perfect and the vinyl used to weatherproof windows. He found all the materials at Jerry's.

    We used a serrated knife and a thin flexible saw blade to cut the layers and glued them together. It is not real attractive, but will only be there when quilting large pieces. If I was going to keep it there permanently I would use a piece of flocked tablecloth material under the vinyl to hide the pink that I bought at Joanne's.

    It was much less expensive than my sew steady extension table, and I have a lot more slippery working space.

    Extension "table" created for my Janome.
    Name:  Attachment-194801.jpe
Views: 278
Size:  33.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    S IL
    Posts
    179
    Love it, I just showed my DH and told him I needed one.

    Thanks for the spiffy idea!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    now that is awesome!
    where did you see the tute on it?
    directions, etc...my elderly friends really need these!

  9. #9
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    now that is awesome!
    where did you see the tute on it?
    directions, etc...my elderly friends really need these!
    I think this is the video I initally saw:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazySho...40/g14govA4pIM

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    now that is awesome!
    where did you see the tute on it?
    directions, etc...my elderly friends really need these!
    I think this is the video I initally saw:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazySho...40/g14govA4pIM
    thanks for sharing...I love the portability of it all!

  11. #11
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    You're welcome. Like I said, it's not real pretty, but I'll remove it and store it most of the time. :-)

  12. #12
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000HD
    Love it, I just showed my DH and told him I needed one.

    Thanks for the spiffy idea!
    lol do u know how many times my poor honey has heard that due to this board..lol but he is very good natured about every project WE come up with.
    Congrats on having a handy honey...think we should keep them?

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    You're welcome. Like I said, it's not real pretty, but I'll remove it and store it most of the time. :-)
    pretty never beats practical! I work with older ladies, who have NO income, very little space and arthritis....this is cheaper than anything store bought, easy to store ( like under a bed even), and is light enough for them to pick up! WINNER!!!!

  14. #14
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    You're welcome. Like I said, it's not real pretty, but I'll remove it and store it most of the time. :-)
    pretty never beats practical! I work with older ladies, who have NO income, very little space and arthritis....this is cheaper than anything store bought, easy to store ( like under a bed even), and is light enough for them to pick up! WINNER!!!!
    The cost was about $25, and it is easy enough for someone to do even without the "Handy Helper".

  15. #15
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000HD
    Love it, I just showed my DH and told him I needed one.

    Thanks for the spiffy idea!
    lol do u know how many times my poor honey has heard that due to this board..lol but he is very good natured about every project WE come up with.
    Congrats on having a handy honey...think we should keep them?
    Yes, keep them --- for now, LOL! My dh wants me to buy tools, it's makes him feel better about all the tools he buys that he thinks he needs, lol!

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have the "handy Helper" and he just approved the making of 4 of these this week! Heading to Lowe's in the AM to get cost quotes! The vinyl I already have 2 rolls of! YEAH..

    Oh, what glue did your "HH" use?

  17. #17
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Liquid Nails, foamboard adhesive.

  18. #18
    Super Member craftiladi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nv.
    Posts
    2,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000HD
    Love it, I just showed my DH and told him I needed one.

    Thanks for the spiffy idea!
    lol do u know how many times my poor honey has heard that due to this board..lol but he is very good natured about every project WE come up with.
    Congrats on having a handy honey...think we should keep them?
    Yes, keep them --- for now, LOL! My dh wants me to buy tools, it's makes him feel better about all the tools he buys that he thinks he needs, lol!
    lol it works that way in our house too...oh how funny :D

  19. #19
    Senior Member cny_sewer39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    Posts
    740
    What a great idea. I believe it will work just AWESOME. Lucky you.


    debra

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    Liquid Nails, foamboard adhesive.
    thank you...I figured that would be the right adhesive, but wanted to double check...

  21. #21
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,558
    Blog Entries
    6
    That is a cool idea.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,576
    Great extension table.

  23. #23
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,825
    Blog Entries
    45
    great job done by him and so lucky you are to have the space you need.

  24. #24
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    I forgot to mention, and should have taken a bigger picture to share what the machine is sitting on -- I found the kitchen counter, and the four drawer file cabinet it rests on, (the other side is resting on a 1x3 bolted to the wall, there is also one bolted to the back below it for support), at a yard sale. It was a construction guy cleaning out his stash. The whole set up was $40. You know you can't even buy a cheapy pasteboard two drawer file cabinet for that!

    The four drawer metal file cabinet is 30" wide with the bottom drawer going the whole length, which is about 14" high. There is one deep drawer and two narrower ones above that. I have bought plastic section thingees to put in the drawers. It matches the huge office desk I have in the "sewing room" also found at a yard sale. The file cabinet is great for storage! Maybe not very attractive, but indestructible!

    Love the yard/garage sales!

  25. #25
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    great job done by him and so lucky you are to have the space you need.
    I don't really have much space, but I'm sure making the best of it! I bought a rolling wooden cabinet with several drawers and a rolling wardrobe rack that sit to the right of the machine along the wall. They have to be moved to get into the closet. At least I know which "stash" I'm using and which is undercover, lol!

    The room is roughly 10x10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.