Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
eBay quilt - Just shaking my head >

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

Old 10-20-2014, 01:22 AM

I'd have left it alone and appreciated it was what it is.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'd have left it alone and appreciated it was what it is.
I have never done this before, but, honestly, I would dispose of it and never have to look at it again. You didn't make it, you will, under no circumstances, never be able to make it right. I would chalk it up to just a bad mistake, and don't think of it again - you know, the out of sight - out of mind - thing!!!!! I am sorry you have to go through this, and much worse if you in one way or another hang on to it. I would put it in a bag and dispose of it, gently, but permanently. Whoever sold this in ebay isn't doing anything for ebay, it is making you fret over it. I have taken pieces and disposed of them. Yes, I have, and I don't remember what they were, but I do remember disposing of them, and the fact that I can't remember is my point! You probably do a million times better anyhow.

I also can understand trying to keep something for "quilter's posterity", but some just can't be. Concentrate on what you can do and make your quilt a beautious quilt, life is too short to use on something that you will never even bond with. (in my opinion, only)

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone, but there is a lot of work on this quilt top that I don't think anyone can really correct properly and I would much rather use my time and make something of my own design and after all the "work" that would have to be put into that quilt top and it being red, that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. I love making quilts, I make them with a story especially designed for the person I am giving the quilt to or keeping for myself. At 76, I don't have time to worry about redoing a quilt top that may probably bleed all over the place. I want my quilts to be set and ready when I start sewing and not have to worry about this or that. Lesson well learned and now you have the time to do the quilt you really want to do and please, don't feel guilty about not completing a quilt just because it isn't finished. Some quilts are not meant to be finished. Edie
Old 10-20-2014, 03:44 AM

From your pics the only points not matching were the center strip to center square...and really just a smidge off at that! Did you take apart the rows or was that how you bought it? I would resew that one that you showed as a sample of " bad seam", sew those rows together, quilt it however you choice, bind, wash to check for bleed.....and either use it yourself or donate to someone who needs it.....now it too has a story.........
Old 10-20-2014, 03:55 AM

I have a quilt that I made with red & white material. I had prewashed the red several times and thought I was through with the bleeding. NOT!!! The first time I washed it after I had finished the quilt, the red bled all over the white and the white part was magically transformed into a very pretty light pink. Even the white back that I used is pale pink. Since it was not going to be a "Pride & Joy", I just let it be what it was determined to be. Ironically, the white cotton thread I quilted it with did not take the red color, and the quilting looks very good. The quilt went home with a granddaughter, after she asked for it, and she sleeps with it every night.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-20-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 AM

Just quilt it as is... and even if it does bleed you can use it as a Picnic Quilt , just spot Dye it with Ketchup, Mustard and BBQ Sauce, a little red Wine , some Spaghetti Sauce and Chocolate Milk or Pudding... and Call it a Memory Quilt ! ! or depending on where you live, the Trunk of the Car....
Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 AM

Put it back together the way it was. Put a cheap batt and back on it and quilt it quickly, as in FMQ in a loose meander. Then see who wants it. If no one does, give to charity. Throwing it away would be senseless. Someone will need a quilt and enjoy it tremendously. I think it's pretty, mismatched seams or not. And if it turns pink, so what. And if you don't want to do the finishing, find someone who would. I would.

Remember: Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly. Done is better than perfect.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. And maybe they had to do with what (very) little resources they had. I honestly have seen much worse. Maybe it was handed down to the person who put it on e-bay to sell so someone else would correct the mistakes without being critical. Maybe it was started by a young person just learning and wasn't able to complete and that was the best they could do.
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would say to the question (who would do this?) .... Someone who is new to quilting, is trying to learn on her own, figuring it out as she went along, doing the best she could to figure it out.... Kudos to her for trying so hard to figure out how to do something on her own! I would not have started taking it apart, I would quilt it as is, perhaps using it as a quilting practice piece and keep it as a utility quilt, maybe as my next * picnic quilt*
Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 AM

The points were only off if you decided they were suppose to meet. It looked fine in its original except to those who had a preconceived notion of what pattern it was to be. I wonder if anyone would have looked at the finished quilt and thought, "oh the points don't match." I would have seen it as a twist on an old pattern.

The eBay seller did not deceive. She took a pic, you saw it, liked it, and bought it. Personally, I think it was beautiful for the same reason an oil painting is. When too close the painting looks nothing like a real image but when back a bit it is a complete image. I am missing the point of taking apart to fix as I don't see it needing fixing. But then I don't make or even try to make show quilts. My gang does not know each quilt design so they would never know something was off or not lined up.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

If you just want something to do. I would take it all apart and see if you can make it better. If the red bleeds it will turn the white pink. Finish it up and donate it. Like many have said it will still keep someone warm.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I would not attempt to fix the blocks. Quilt it with cotton thread and 100% cotton batting, throw it in a hot water wash and hot tumble dry. When it comes out it will have all the crinkled yumminess and softness of an antique quilt and those cut off points will never be noticed!