Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
eBay quilt - Just shaking my head >

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

eBay quilt - Just shaking my head

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 AM

My thought would be to finish and quilt it, and give it to someone for Christmas (colors so perfect) because if the recipient is a quilt policewoman, she will love it because you gave it to her. But if you are "full up to here" with it, my next advice would be to give it as is to a bunch of ladies who sit around in the church social room quilting who might put a number on it, and draw for winning it.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Most people who sell on ebay are very up front about what they are selling. To her/him they probably thought they did a good job on the top and obviously you thought it was pretty enough to bid on. I would put it back together, test to make sure the color doesn't run, sandwich it and quilt it. You just might just find that even though it is not a "perfect" quilt, it's a quilt that you like..oh you you can always give the piecing technique it's own name which would make it truly unique and one of a kind..IMHO..
Old 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM

There is no way I would ever take it apart, but checking for bleeding BEFORE you do any more work on it is a great suggestion. If there is no bleeding I would just sandwich it and quilt it and keep it around as a reminder not to purchase someone elses top, especially from ebay.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Me, too. And I would name it "Lesson Learned".

I had a pair of shoes I spent big $$$ on about 30 years ago, only to find that they KILLED my feet. Kept them in my closet for years to remind me that if a shoe doesn't fit right when I try it on, it will not fit right when i wear it. It was definitely a lesson learned.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

On any given day I might decide this could go in the trash....on the other hand, I love the red and white. So much depends on how much patience you can muster.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM

I give you credit for wanting to try to fix it. I would roll it up and put it away because I do not have that much patience! You are off To a
great start!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM

If this happened to me I would pack it up and bring it to a local thrift shop, labeling the parcel "for someone who likes a challenge" or "this can be used for scrap material." I know of many quilters who look for scraps of material, any kind of cotton fabric at local thrift shops. And, believe it or not, there are those out there who love to pick apart sewn pieces to make scraps. The best thing for me would be to say good bye to it and get it out of the house so I can put effort into something I enjoy. Someone will love what you've brought to the thrift store.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I agree with Tartan completely. Reds are notorious for bleeding. It would be a total waste of your time and an even bigger stressor on your part if you haven't ascertained that the red remains colorfast. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Very curious indeed! I agree with Tartan and SouthPStitches.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Please tell us what you decide to do --as I am interested. I am the one at church that gets to finish these unfinished
projects. Think this could be a very beautiful quilt if washing does not bleed the red. I am also retired and known to be very patient.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would say to the question (who would do this?) .... Someone who is new to quilting, is trying to learn on her own, figuring it out as she went along, doing the best she could to figure it out.... Kudos to her for trying so hard to figure out how to do something on her own! I would not have started taking it apart, I would quilt it as is, perhaps using it as a quilting practice piece and keep it as a utility quilt, maybe as my next * picnic quilt*
I as a beginner agree, she is a beginner and couldn't figure out how to finish the quilt up & thus put it up for sale. I am working right along her line of quilting and learning as I go, be kind and remember we beginners as we try to figure things out.
Jeri