Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Adhesive Spray >

Elmer's Adhesive Spray

Elmer's Adhesive Spray

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

If you Google, you will probably come up with a website or two by people who have tried it. One I read said that she created a small quilt sandwich and washed it, and it seemed to come out in the wash, same as quilt basting sprays. I spent some time Googling it and even found the MSDS for the Elmers that lists what chemicals are in it and safety concerns. It is very flammable, but I think all basting sprays are. This is not the same as washable Elmer's glue which is made up primarily of starch. If you read the chemicals list for the spray, there are a lot of different chemicals in it.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Did you let it dry overnight first?

I found this older quilt board posting from someone who said she uses it successfully for quilts and that it does not gum up the needle. Let's see if I can get it right:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t52574-2.html

I'm wondering if the different experiences relate to how long you let the spray sit before sewing through it. I know that many people spray baste, then leave the quilt to sit overnight to dry completely before taking it to the machine.

Originally Posted by MistyMarie View Post
WAH!!!! It so does not work. It gums up the needle and breaks the thread. It is very sticky. I am sure I will be able to find some uses for it, but it won't be in my sewing room. What to do with SIX of these? I think my kids school will be getting some containers of spray adhesive. It probably would be great for posters and such... especially doing glitter projects.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-18-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

When using glue for bindings, people use the Elmer's washable school glue (white stuff in a plastic bottle). This glue is basically just very thick starch. You place small dots of glue or a very thin line of glue on the binding, then iron it. Ironing is what makes the fabrics stick together with the glue. I use it sometimes when I am having a problem matching up seams. Just a small dot inside the seam allowance, a quick iron, and it acts like a glue "pin". After sewing the seam, I can pull the fabrics apart. Sharon Schamber has a video on Youtube demonstrating how she uses this glue for bindings.

Originally Posted by Gracie'sMom View Post
I am curious when you say you use glue for bindings. Does gum up the needle as you sew the bindings down?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 AM

I use glue and spray adhesive for everything as I can't stand being stabbed with pins and I get fed up with pinning as well. I usually buy the $4 cans as the $30 "quilting" ones are too expensive. Elmer's is OK in my experience. Some people have warned me off the cheap sprays because they say that they yellow over time. None of mine have ever had yellowing or gummed up the needles and I've been seriously quilting since 1980. The Glues were always used in cottage craft that was popular at that time and none of that stuff suffered.
I let the stuff sit for a day before I start sewing.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Can you give a brief lesson on how to us elmers school glue for bindings? this has intrigued me, putting on bindings is my least favorite step on a project.
Originally Posted by kraftykimberly View Post
I use the elmers school glue for bindings all the time, doesnt gum up my needle at all.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to Sharon Schamber's video on Youtube that demonstrates this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Can you give a brief lesson on how to us elmers school glue for bindings? this has intrigued me, putting on bindings is my least favorite step on a project.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:31 PM

I wonder what would happen if you 'thinned' the glue with water? It's worth a try, as long as you've already spent the money on it.