Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer's for basting...NOT!

In the last month I have spray basted two really big quilts, one is 108" square and the other is 96"x105". I cannot fathom basting them with school glue. Honestly, I have to admit that I can't think of an instance where I would use school glue for basting anything. I bought that little bottle of glue with the really fine metal tip and have not used it either, but then again, I haven't done anything with applique. Getting ready to do a landscape so it might come in handy for that.
    OCD in the OC

Blog Entries
    I think we're taliking apples and oranges here. I think the original post was about using Elmer's spray adhesive for basting quilt layers together before quilting. The Elmers school glue is used for binding, applique, etc. I've used Elmers spray adhesive for DIY projects but can't imagine using it on a quilt. That stuff is really sticky, gummy, and stinky! I use 505 for spray basting and Elmers white school glue for applique and binding instead of pinning.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the Elmer's Spray Adhesive referred to in the original post:
    http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E451

This is *not* the school glue we all use for bindings and applique! Some people are using the Spray Adhesive to baste quilt layers together because it is considerably less expensive than 505. I personally prefer to spend a couple of extra dollars to be sure I am using a product designed for use in quilts, that is truly temporary, and that is easily washed out. Guess I am not the experimenter type.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    Yep. That's the only Elmer's I use and it is wonderfu.

I use the glue sticks for my bindings....and I stock up at back-to-school time when they are real cheap. For spray basting, I use Dritz...cheap and washes out well. I also looked at the Elmers spray adhesive and it does say permanent (that means it won't wash out).
    Last edited by Buckeye Rose; 02-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Elmer's spray adhesive is good for a wall hanging or fabric project that will not be washed. Once glued it will stay.
    Got fabric?

A different question regarding permanent spray adhesive

I have a batting that I suspect will beard. Do you think spraying it with the permanent adhesive would help to prevent this?
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 02-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.

quiltsRfun, if you use permanent adhesive you will ruin your quilt. I sent you a PM.
    OCD in the OC

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    quiltsRfun, if you use permanent adhesive you will ruin your quilt. I sent you a PM.
    Guess I didn't give enough information. I was thinking of spraying the batting, letting it dry, then use something else to baste it to the quilt top and back. I probably won't try it cause it would mean I'd have to buy a can of the permanent adhesive. Less trouble and expense to just get another batting. It was mainly just one of those "I wonder if. . ." questions.

Aren't the quilters on this forum great! Delilah went the extra mile to make sure I didn't ruin my quilt.

Power Poster
    I am more worried about what it might do to my sewing machine. I don't want to use something that is not going to wash out or is not intended to be sewn through. Why chance it when for a few more dollars, I could get 505. Since it was just an "I wonder if question" it has made for a great discussion.

I use the washable Elmer's school glue, too. Coyotemagic, I like your motto, "Just a dot, Not a lot."
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast