Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's for basting...NOT! >

Elmer's for basting...NOT!

Elmer's for basting...NOT!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Tell me more about using Elmer's school glue, please. How does it work and how long till it sets? I generally use 505 or a similar product and sort of spray tack points, rather than a broad sweep of the fabric. It holds well and the can lasts through several quilts. But, it is still pretty expensive.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katyfitz View Post
Tell me more about using Elmer's school glue, please. How does it work and how long till it sets? I generally use 505 or a similar product and sort of spray tack points, rather than a broad sweep of the fabric. It holds well and the can lasts through several quilts. But, it is still pretty expensive.
It's not the Elmer's school glue that is used by some people for basting a quilt; it is the Elmer's spray adhesive.

Throughout this thread, people have confused the two products and their uses.

Last edited by Prism99; 02-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Ok, I am officially confused. How do you use the white Elmer's glue and/or glue sticks in place of pins? :-?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM

I use Elmer's school glue... (washable and a very small amount).. for all sorts of things. If you use very little it does not make your fabric stiff as a plank. I've used it on my "10 Min Blocks" and for holding little applique pieces in place. A few seconds with a dry iron and it's set. Love it for tiny little jobs.

I use 505 basting spray (outside spraying only) for actual basting. I've only used it on wallhangings, table toppers... mug rugs...table runners smaller things. Youtube has someone who sprays QUEEN SIZED quilts... pretty amazing.

I'm most happy using it for small to med sized projects.

Last edited by Highmtn; 02-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
Ok, I am officially confused. How do you use the white Elmer's glue and/or glue sticks in place of pins? :-?
You can use Elmer's SCHOOL glue or glue sticks for tacking small items or applique but not for basting a large project, just make sure the product washes out with soap and water. Some people evidentially use the school glue in their binding some how. I have never done that so don't know how to use it for that. Many quilters prefer to use basting sprays like 505, Sullivan's, Dritz, or June Tailer to baste the three layers of quilts together INSTEAD of using a zillion pins. I have had great success spray basting really large quilts without the aid of any pins at all. Some people were suggesting that you could Elmer's Spray Adhesive to spray baste quilts instead of the products that I listed and I was trying to warn them that Elmer's Spray Adhesive is not for basting quilts since it is a permanent adhesive, will NOT wash out with soap and water, and therefore will ruin the quilts. BTW, I do not like the new formula that June Tailer switched to last year but I understand they are changing the formula again and it should be in production soon. Once I got proficient using the sprays I can successfully spray baste a 100" square quilt in about an hour without using any pins at all.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

I use the Elmer's washable school glue on my charity or children's bindings which I am going to machine stitch as opposed to hand stitching. I put a small bead of glue along the top of the quilt and then fold the binding over exactly where I want it to get a nice machine stitch and iron it. It holds the binding exactly where you want it and then you can quickly machine stitch it into place. I learned this at a "schoolhouse" at one of our local quilt shops. I can sew many bindings on in a day using this method. I don't use the glue if I'm going to hand stitch because it would actually make it more difficult to get the needle thru. The glue then comes out in the wash. It's a great way to get thru a lot of charity or utility quilts.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM

does anyone use Elmer's school glue for basting the quilt layers? how would that be done?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM

I use elmers stick glue to do all of my bindings...love it..never have I had any issues with my sewing machines or needles using elmers stick glue and love not having to use pins.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 AM

This may be similar. I have thinned Elmer's school glue with water and used to glue down my very small pieces of fabric in confetti applique pieces. These were then quilted with a tiny meandering stitch to hold the fabric down because they are part of a bed quilt, not a wall art quilt. The glue held well during lots of manipulation and washed out later. While it on the fabric it was very stiff. I had so many layers of confetti and glue and tulle net that during the quilting process it was like handling cardboard. After the washing it was fine. The quilters that I have heard using it for basting use it in dots so you don't have a complete coverage.

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 AM

I use pins to baste the quilt because I just don't trust what harmful chemicals might be in a spray can no matter that many say "safe for environment." How many times has this been proved wrong? Plus if you have allergies it can be aggravating. I also don't want my pets exposed to the spray fumes.