Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer? >

Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer?

Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Sushi, do you mean she straight-stitches them with FMQ? I'm not good at that yet!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:15 PM

I have done some pretty small fonts on my embroidery machine, so don't get discouraged about putting it all on one label. I use Bernina embroidery software, and there are special fonts that look like running stitches for tiny lettering. Most of her software types have something similar. I like to use the backing fabric for my label, embroider in a similar thread, then hand apply it to the backing after quilting. Subtle, but visible if you look.

Pam
Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 AM

Thanks, CanoePam -- sounds like a nice option!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:35 AM

If you print out on paper you can then use a light box to trace over the print onto the fabric then back stitch the way you do with iron on embroidery
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 AM

I use the June Tailor sew-in sheets and my ink jet printer for my quilting labels. I just type out what I want using the desired font then place the fabric sheets in my printer section where the paper goes and print it out. I also use my Print Shop program to make cute designs for the labels. This could work for you if you want to write several things on the back, but I'm not sure how it would look going around the backing like a border so to speak, since it is a fabric sheet. I have not tried this method but I think others have, to use fabric backed with freezer paper and run through their printers. This method might be used as a border on the backing. Otherwise I'm with others on suggesting some one to embroidery it for you or use a permanent marker and write it on the fabric. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM

If YOU are quilting it, why not quilt your text into the borders from the front in a matching color using cursive? From a distance the design will blend, but if you tell your daughter, she will be able to see and read it with a closer look. It will also be in your own handwriting, which will make it so much more special.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM

I love that idea, EmiliasNana, but I don't know how I'd accomplish it. Do you mean just quilting/stitching in lines to follow pre-marked text drawn on on the quilt? I have a lot of text to get on the quilt, and I'm not yet an expert quilter (or even straight-line maker!), so this sounds a bit beyond me. But maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM

You can print on fabric using your computer and printer. I've done this many times. Be sure to read up on it before trying it out.