Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer? >

Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer?

Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Default Embroidering ideas for non-embroiderer?

I'm making a quilt for my daughter and want to figure out how to add some meaningful/sentimental words and lines of text to the backing. The sandwich is basted but not yet quilted. I want the text to be pretty small, so you have to look close to see/read it.

I only have a straight-stitch Juki (and a Janome Magnolia with 18 stitch choices, but no embroidery options).

I'm neither good nor fast at embroidery by hand, but perhaps this is my only option.
Any other ideas or suggestions about how I might be able to accomplish this?

Thanks !
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Do you have a friend with an embroidery machine? Maybe that person would be willing to do a label size piece for you. My friend and I are always doing for each other. I would be happy to do it for you if you want to let me know what you want. You could send me a PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Hand written label, with a fabric permanent pen. Use freezer paper on the back to stabilize it while writing.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM

Quiltingcandy, thank you so much for the generous offer! Above and beyond! Fortunately for you, though(;-), I think it would be too much to ask -- I have more to embroider than would fit/work on labels!

I'm picturing doing something like small lines of text running irregularly (non-symmetrically) around/near the 4 sides of the quilt. Maybe freezer paper would assist me ...??
Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Maggie Sue, I've read about using freezer paper in the past, but not quite clear about it. Could I use such a technique directly on the quilt back (not on a label) somehow?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Could you find a font you like, print it, and somehow transfer it to the fabric? I'll bet you could do a backstitch, and it might be relaxing to do. If you're really old like me, you probably stitched over designs printed on a pillowcase as a kid.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Charlotte that sounds like a good approach for me -- thanks. Only problem is that I don't know of a good way to transfer the desired text/font onto the backing fabric -- I want to embroider directly onto the backing fabric, not onto a label etc. Mmmmmm .....
Old 01-17-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

If the sandwich is already basted, how would you embroider on just the backing unless you do the embroidery by hand?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Prism99, it's pin-basted, so I could just pull them out if I find a way to machine embroider. If I end up doing it by hand, I will probably quilt it first and then embroider the backing, being careful not to allow the needle to pierce the front as I go.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 PM

I have a friend who writes the words (sometimes using a stencil; sometimes not) on her quilt top in non-permanent ink and then simply stitches them. The effect is almost the same as embroidery.