Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Embroidery Thread

I am currently working on a quilt for a wedding gift. I'd like to embroider the couples name onto one block. Would you suggest I use machine embroidery thread? What thread should I use in the bobbin?

Thanks!

machine embroidery thread is very fine so there isn't a lot of buildup on the back of the project, most embroidery thread is rayon or nylon which makes it shinny and I think looks better than cotton for that.

also I would suggest using a stabilizer behind it so that it doesn't pucker.

If it is going to be washed afterwards, I would use poly, rayon bleeds. I only use Isocord and mettler.

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely going to be washed, so I'll avoid the rayon.

Sulky Rayon is colorfast, but Rayon is not as strong as poly. Be sure it says colorfast, and if you want sew a sample and then let it spilling water on the sample allowing it to sit in water and see what happens.