Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing question..... >

English Paper Piecing question.....

English Paper Piecing question.....

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Default English Paper Piecing question.....

I'm wanting to play with this and had a few questions for all you epp/hexie gurus out there. Do you prefer to use paper or plastic templates. I know with both the paper & plastic they can be reused but with the paper I can use the glue stick if I want. I'd like the option/convenience of using precut fabric like mini charms & charm packs. Is there an online source somewhere that has figured out which sizes/shapes will work with which precuts. If not, how is the best way to determine that myself? I keep following the epp/hexie threads and love the projects that you all are working on! TIA!!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 AM

I have both, but prefer the paper. I cut my own pieces using junk mail and those annoying cards that come in magazines. Patterns will tell you what size you need to use. I baste to the paper and can use them several times before discarding them. I have never used precuts for EPP, just my scraps so I can't help with that.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM

Here is a website I have used to obtain paper templates: www.paperpieces.com. I believe they are also sold with other companies, but this site has a large variety.
I have used a template and just sewed them together with a running stitch which seemed to be the easiest, but not as accurate. The mylar pieces sold by Brandy's : www.brandysquiltpatterns.com are great, but expensive. I found I needed to leave them into the pieces that were to be connected to the next one. But they were so nice to work with. I don't glue, I do the basting, found it works best for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Oh, now Accuquilt has a die that will cut the paper to use to make the templates - only 2 sizes though.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Grammyp-
I know this is a silly question, but, (there's always a but isn't there) do you use sometype of template to cut the right size/shape?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quiltingcandy-
Why did you need to leave the mylar pieces in?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM

I have only used paper, and print them myself. There are a couple sites that I know of to print them from. One is texasfreckles.com. You will need to have the hexagon stitched with another on all six sides before removing the mylar or paper. For instance, the center of a flower. Thats the reason for leaving the mylar (or paper) in. Some prefer to leave the papers in until the whole top is finished. Not me! Some will starch and press the hexagon very well, then remove the papers before stitching. Not sure that would work for me. I baste to the papers. Just never tried the glue. I'm sure it would work great. Also, the freezer paper method looks like a good way to go. I think there are as many ways to do a hexie project as there are people who do them. All those ways are the "right" way. Try a couple ways and find what works best for you, then have fun!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:49 AM

I purchased Mylar Template sheets and cut out my own. I am using a 1 1/4" hexagon. I purchased several of the Moda 2 1/2" Mini Charm packs mainly for convenience until I get my scraps cut into 2 1/2" squares. I chose the Mylar sheets for 2 reasons: The Mylar prevents me from basting through the front of the Hexie (thus I don't have to remove my basting stitches and because I can iron my hexies with the Mylar inside. I spray them with Bouncing Ironing Spray then press with my iron. I can then remove the Mylar templates and reuse them and the hexies keep their shape. I haven't started to sew mine together yet but I'm not worried about them becoming mis-shapened without the Mylar inside as the Ironing spray made them pretty stiff. I am making a scrappy quilt where no two fabrics will be the same.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 11-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 PM

I just ordered custom dies in two different sizes one to cut freezer paper and the other for the fabric so if you can wait till next week I will update you.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM

I love EPP. Welcome to the addiction!

I use the paper pieces because I prefer to baste through the paper. I use hand quilting thread for the basting. I feel the basting is secure but super easy to remove when it is time. And, even basting through the paper you can reuse them several times

I have not tried the plastic ones. I couldn't baste through them, and since I use the method where the templates are left on until surrounded, I would need a bunch of them. And they are a little costly for that.

I tried the glue stick basting method, but I did not care for it. I didn't like having to peal the fabric off the paper when I wanted to remove it. And, I don't think there was any real time savings. However, having said that, I am thinking of using a little glue stick in the center of the front of larger pieces to stick the fabric to the template while thread basting.