Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing >

English Paper Piecing

English Paper Piecing

Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

i LOVE english paper piecing, great travel project. the web site :
paperpieces carries everything you need and there are great tutorials here and other places. here's one of my most recent little projects...oops forgot i can't show you, it would give away a secret...but there are lots on here of pics of projects, and the one i was going to show you is here somewhere...can't show you where though....oh, maybe i can pm it so as not to give away a secret :-D
Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 AM

I also love English Paper Piecing. I'm working on an apple core quilt that is my travel project. I have some purchased pieces, but usually use my junk mail and those annoying cards from magazines to make my own. They too are reusable several times.

I would be glad to share some of my pieces for you to use for a pattern to make your own. Just PM me your address and I will get them in the mail.

Leslie, your quilt is beautiful, and I see the pattern.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 AM

My I Spy quilt is a WIP and is EPP. It is a great take along project. I use whatever scrap pieces of paper I can. I print my own hex's and cut them out. Another great project when in Dr's office, watching TV, sick, etc. I also have a GFG WIP going very slowly. Doing that one in 30's repro.

I use this site to print my hex's.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/
I have a method that I use to make better use of the paper so I don't waste so much. I print out the size I need (or use the Enlarge/Decrease button on the printer) to tweak it to size, then I print out enough copies to cut up and pace on one sheet to fill that sheet as much as possible, then make as many copies as I deem necessary. I keep teh original copy in a master file with the size of block, amount/percent increased/decreased to, and which project I am using it on. I have a ruler nearby and measure, measure, measure before cutting into fabric.
Lost yet? Not as complicated as it sounds when you get a method that works. Use mostly scrap paper and doesn't use much ink to print.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM

Great to do when traveling. I am just experimenting so far but I like it. Also make yo yos on the road. Love the examples shown here.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

i knew i saw an english paper pieced little project on here and found it early this morning, the pic has been posted before in a different spot, i thought i would show it here too, since it applies to the topic.
they are sure fun sit around projects!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73711.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

you are only limited by how far you will allow your imaginatiion to go :)
creativity isa imagination at it's best.
i love epp, when i first learned how to do it i liked the process but not necessarily the finished quilt top...all hexagons just put together....but once i started allowing myself to play with my hex's and realizing i could make all sorts of things, bouquets, pictures of all sorts, it became lots more fun...i use lots of different sizes in one project (from 1/4"...yup, i said 1/4" and i must say...they are cute but not my favorite to make...up to 3" hexagons.) my favorite size is the 1/2" but ...who am i trying to kid, i like them all! well, except those 1/4" ones...they are kind of a pain(to get the paper back out of)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 AM

I do a lot of EPP using freezer paper, which allows me to use the templates over and over again. I have a tutorial with pics on my website, if you are interested:
http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/english-paper-piecing
Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ajpadilla
I do a lot of EPP using freezer paper, which allows me to use the templates over and over again. I have a tutorial with pics on my website, if you are interested:
http://ajpadilla.com/tutorials/english-paper-piecing
What a nice website you have. The reversable GFG was very interesting. Might have to try that.......maybe a pillow top. Thank you for the tutorial.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Beautiful quilt, nice colors. I have started a Grandmother Flower Garden and hope to have it finished someday!!