Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: English vs. regular paper piecing

What's the difference between English Paper Piecing and Paper Piecing? Any preferences?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Izy should know.

English paperpiecing is where you take a piece of paper, and wrap it around the fabric to stabilize it as in grandmothers flower garden. Paper piecing is where you take a piece of paper with a pattern printed on it, and then put a piece of fabric aprox 1/4 inch bigger and lay it on the opposite side, and then put another piece of fabric, and then flip it over and sew on the line. This is also called foundation piecing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
    English paperpiecing is where you take a piece of paper, and wrap it around the fabric to stabilize it as in grandmothers flower garden. Paper piecing is where you take a piece of paper with a pattern printed on it, and then put a piece of fabric aprox 1/4 inch bigger and lay it on the opposite side, and then put another piece of fabric, and then flip it over and sew on the line. This is also called foundation piecing.
    Nearly right, quiltingbee, with the English method - I think you transposed the paper and fabric bit. It's the fabric that is being wrapped around a paper template, then usually tacked into place.

Blog Entries
    I have done the English paper piecing and LOVE it for take along projects :lol: They are small and easy to do, no special tools,just needle thread, scissors, the paper pieces and fabric cut down to small sizes. I have not tried the foundation paper pieceing yet so can't help with that, sorry
    Sharon

Banned
    i prefer "regular" paper piecing only because piecing an entire quilt by hand takes a very long time and i'm already short on time.

so the English PP is only done by hand?

Sorry if I'm sort of hijacking this thread, but does anyone have a link to a free download for DIAMOND English Paper Piecing shapes? I've found a ton of free downloadable Hexagons, but I'm more interested in trying to do a star pattern rather than a grandmother's flower garden style pattern.

Thanks!
    Jan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    so the English PP is only done by hand?
    yes only by hand

Click here: InstantPiecing.com: English Paper Piecing Templates , Here is the only site I found, don't you know when you want to find something you never can but if you don't want to its always there. Anyway this has a 6 and 8" diamond, hope this helps

Rita

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast