Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: English vs. regular paper piecing

  1. #1
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    What's the difference between English Paper Piecing and Paper Piecing? Any preferences?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mrs. Mel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    618
    I was wondering the exact same thing. Izy should know.

  3. #3
    Senior Member quiltingbee12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    671
    English paperpiecing is where you take a piece of paper, and wrap it around the fabric to stabilize it as in grandmothers flower garden. Paper piecing is where you take a piece of paper with a pattern printed on it, and then put a piece of fabric aprox 1/4 inch bigger and lay it on the opposite side, and then put another piece of fabric, and then flip it over and sew on the line. This is also called foundation piecing.

  4. #4
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
    English paperpiecing is where you take a piece of paper, and wrap it around the fabric to stabilize it as in grandmothers flower garden. Paper piecing is where you take a piece of paper with a pattern printed on it, and then put a piece of fabric aprox 1/4 inch bigger and lay it on the opposite side, and then put another piece of fabric, and then flip it over and sew on the line. This is also called foundation piecing.
    Nearly right, quiltingbee, with the English method - I think you transposed the paper and fabric bit. It's the fabric that is being wrapped around a paper template, then usually tacked into place.

  5. #5
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    I have done the English paper piecing and LOVE it for take along projects :lol: They are small and easy to do, no special tools,just needle thread, scissors, the paper pieces and fabric cut down to small sizes. I have not tried the foundation paper pieceing yet so can't help with that, sorry
    Sharon

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    i prefer "regular" paper piecing only because piecing an entire quilt by hand takes a very long time and i'm already short on time.

  7. #7
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    so the English PP is only done by hand?

  8. #8
    Senior Member ai731's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maxville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    366
    Sorry if I'm sort of hijacking this thread, but does anyone have a link to a free download for DIAMOND English Paper Piecing shapes? I've found a ton of free downloadable Hexagons, but I'm more interested in trying to do a star pattern rather than a grandmother's flower garden style pattern.

    Thanks!
    Jan

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    so the English PP is only done by hand?
    yes only by hand

  10. #10
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    Click here: InstantPiecing.com: English Paper Piecing Templates , Here is the only site I found, don't you know when you want to find something you never can but if you don't want to its always there. Anyway this has a 6 and 8" diamond, hope this helps

    Rita

  11. #11
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ai731
    Sorry if I'm sort of hijacking this thread, but does anyone have a link to a free download for DIAMOND English Paper Piecing shapes? I've found a ton of free downloadable Hexagons, but I'm more interested in trying to do a star pattern rather than a grandmother's flower garden style pattern.

    Thanks!
    Jan
    Try http://printfreegraphpaper.com and where it says which type of graph you want, select Isometric graph paper. All the diamonds you could want!

  12. #12
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Re diamonds, I forgot to say that when you are trying to tack around the paper, don't bother to try and tuck in the excess on the points. If you leave the little extra bit sticking out, all of those will lay flatter when you join on other patches.

  13. #13
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,540
    I've used the machine to English paper piece. You just don't fold the fabric back over the paper. I've done a queensize quilt this way.

  14. #14
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Wow, more power to your elbow! It had never occurred to me to do that.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ai731's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maxville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Re diamonds, I forgot to say that when you are trying to tack around the paper, don't bother to try and tuck in the excess on the points. If you leave the little extra bit sticking out, all of those will lay flatter when you join on other patches.
    Thanks very much for the link and the tip. It will be my first try at EPP because I'm going away on holiday for a week and want a "by hand" project I can take with me to work on while we're away.

    Jan

  16. #16
    Senior Member foxxigrani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    755
    I made my own diamonds, I forget the measurements, both paper and fabric, it wasn't that hard, if I can do it anyone can.

    Hope this helps.

    Rita

  17. #17
    Esqmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tied up in Thread
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    so the English PP is only done by hand?
    yes only by hand
    Well, that shuts out that category for me. No time for EPP apparently - like you, I'm just too booked as it is! How's the apron project going with your niece? Please take pix so we can see her and the work (if her mommy doesn't mind her photo on the internet!)

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I've used the machine to English paper piece. You just don't fold the fabric back over the paper. I've done a queensize quilt this way.
    wouldn't that just be paper piecing. not all paper piecing by machine has to be sewn thru the paper you can use the paper shapes to guide the stitch lines.

  19. #19
    Super Member Mamaskeeto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FLORISSANT, MO
    Posts
    1,390
    I just love English Paper Piecing (EPP). My favorite site is www.paperpieces.com. They sell pre cut papers and kits. Be sure to look at the gallery of finished quilts.

  20. #20
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Good luck with the piecing, let us know how you got on when you get back, and have a lovely time.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    401
    Here's a great tutorial from Connecting Threads' website:

    http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat..._PD991407.html

    It's an Adobe file and the first example is the hexagon, but if you scroll down, it shows one with diamond shapes.

    It's on my list of things to try.

  22. #22
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Thanks all for the links. I think we all go to the sites at the same times becasue I keep getting the message that I can't connect! :( Will try again later when the traffic slows down. :?

  23. #23
    Junior Member NorthernDeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by ai731
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Re diamonds, I forgot to say that when you are trying to tack around the paper, don't bother to try and tuck in the excess on the points. If you leave the little extra bit sticking out, all of those will lay flatter when you join on other patches.
    Thanks very much for the link and the tip. It will be my first try at EPP because I'm going away on holiday for a week and want a "by hand" project I can take with me to work on while we're away.

    Jan
    I have a seven sisters quilt in the works using the diamonds that make a 6 pointed star. These same pieces also do blocks. When I was on a car trip to AZ last year, I stopped at a store to pickup some hand work and found these. For about $6 I got a package of 100 precut diamonds. I also bought a charm pack and found that I could get 3 diamonds from a 5" square. I coordinated all my squares and had a nice little group of stars done when I got home.

    I still keep all of these pieces in a travel bag. If Im going to the doctors or to the quilt shop/ guild meeting, I have something very portable to work on. This bag is always waiting by the door to grab on the way out. This may become a lifelong hand project but I'm enjoying it.

    This is not mine... but it is close to what I would like to have in the end:
    http://www.shop7sisters.com/030c2fa0.jpg
    [url]

  24. #24
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I tried English paper piecing for the first time a couple weeks ago. I love it. I can take it with me to the baseball games and when I visit my dad in the evening. I can work on my other projects when I'm at home. It may take me a year to finish the paper piecing project, but it keeps me busy when I'm away from home.

  25. #25
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Seven Sisters looks like a good take along project. Thanks for sharing. :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.