Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enough is Enough! >

Enough is Enough!

Enough is Enough!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM

I don't have this problem, but that's possibly because I tend to "share" things out to people when I end up with duplicates or something I won't use. My DH's grandmother passed away and I inherited all her sewing things, but she mostly did garment sewing. I recently discovered a coworker who loves to sew her own clothes; she was thrilled to receive a couple baskets full of old vintage buttons and rick-rack and bias binding and zippers and such. I did keep some that had really neat old packaging and all the wooden-spooled thread, those are on display in my sewing room.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

When others gift me with their don't wants because I sew, cook, etc. I thank them and then the items go right to the trash or to the Salvation Army donation box. I don't keep them. My ex sister in law was always giving me stuff that she did not want but wanted to be kept in the family. Her thoughts were I would store it. She brought over two big boxes of her aunt's china. She didn't want it or have room for it so it was mine. About a year later she mentioned that I had the china and would probably let a cousin who was moving into a new apartment have it. I said oh DH said it was ugly so I sold it to an antique shop and bought the living room rug I wanted. LOLOLOLOL actually I donated it to Salvation Army.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM

I don't have this issue at all since no one else in my family knows how to sew or quilt. They all honestly admit they have no idea what would be valuable to my quilting business if it came up & smacked them in the face.

I used to teach, though, I would get a ridiculous amount of books donated. Many of them I really loved getting because my students typically didn't own any books & were thrilled to get donations. Sometimes, though, I would simply have too, too many ... or the books would be WAY to advanced or too simple for my little guys to enjoy. So I would do one of two things: I donated what I could donate if finding a new home was easy enough. Then I would sell/swap the rest and contribute the proceeds to a worthy cause. That works great when relatives try to guilt you about getting rid of stuff ("oh, yeah, I didn't really have space for it, so someone gave me a good amount of money for it & I donated that money to Grandma's favorite charity in her memory"). Shuts them right up. lol.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Actually, for me, it is the opposite. I rarely get things that are quilt related. Jim does get me pins, or thread but I have to tell him what kinds, and it's not for Christmas or birthdays. He does let me buy fabric whenever I want so I do not complain.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
Some days I feel like a lion tamer and need to approach the sewing area with a whip and chair. LOL
This made me laugh! I also have two rooms for my sewing studio and home office combo. Sometimes when I get too many projects going at once I feel like I need a whip and chair. It does get out of control so quickly!

I agree with the others, sell your extra gadgets and tools on Ebay. You might be surprised what you can get for them especially if they're still in original packing. Then give all your relatives the name of your favorite fabric store and tell them these two words: Gift Card.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 PM

I too have very limited space, but have been very fortunate with the gifts I have been given. My son is especially astute when it comes to quilting things. He's given me gift cards to specialty quilt stores, a Thimbleberries Book of Quilts, a large cutting mat and various other things, all wanted. But...to your point, I can see where getting things you really don't want or can't use would be frustrating!! So....let the packing begin!!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 PM

I too have too many items so in saying that I am going to try and make a couple boxes of pet beds to give away, it is a fun way to get rid of fabrics that your not crazy about and your doing something nice for the animals.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:56 AM

I keep hinting for quilts gifts but still get candles or bath soaps for gifts. And I'm a clean person. Lol.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 AM

I think that would be nice. I would sort through it and get rid of what I didn't want. I received 2 grandmother-in-law's orphan blocks and a little fabric from the 30s. I love it. I made a quilt out of the orphan blocks and another out of the old fabric. Still planning to make something from the other grandmother's orphan blocks. I love that they trusted me with their stuff.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 AM

We're in the same boat with one difference...my clutter is self-inflicted. Currently, I'm in the process of moving so it is a great opportunity to weed out a lot of gee-it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time items that I have never used. I am looking forward to reversing the chaotic atmosphere in my sewing room. Good luck with your efforts to reclaim your space!