Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enough is Enough! >

Enough is Enough!

Enough is Enough!

Old 09-06-2014, 04:28 AM

My kids know better than to give me sewing things. They have been guilty of giving me impractical gifts, and cute little porcelain objects that gather dust. I solved that problem in a hurry...I told them not to give me anything that they don't want back someday. They will be the ones cleaning up the mess after I am gone. Problem solved.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:36 AM

The last two years, the guild I belong to has had a silent auction once a year during one of the potlucks. We get to go through our quilting/sewing things and bring loved but unwanted or no longer needed items to the auction. They are grouped by notions, fabrics, books, etc. with a sheet for each item. Then we bid on them with the amount and our initials. It is so fun to outbid each other(sometimes ! It is a nice way to raise funds for speakers and so on.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I do have enough - of everything quilty - but it's hard for me to stop buying - especially at yard/garage sales.

(I do know the solution is to NOT go stopping/shopping at them - - - - but it's one of my main forms of entertainment!)
I'm with bearisgray....I absolutely love the garage/yard sales....can't get enough....even got DH to keep an eye out for material and sewing accessories.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 AM

I wish there was a "like" button. I like this post!
Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
My kids know better than to give me sewing things. They have been guilty of giving me impractical gifts, and cute little porcelain objects that gather dust. I solved that problem in a hurry...I told them not to give me anything that they don't want back someday. They will be the ones cleaning up the mess after I am gone. Problem solved.
TOOOOOOO funny! and a great idea! Gotta remember this one!!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:26 AM

I have tried every craft known to man, and decided that quilting was my "thing". I donated all my other supplies to various groups. Ribbon and silk flowers went to the art teacher at my DGD's school. Books went to a Senior Center
near by. Fabric that I knew I would never use went to several people via "free" ads in the local newspaper. I also had tons of patterns and gave them away also. The ladies were so happy with the "free" stuff, so it felt good to give it away.
Sue
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM

I'll trade you the sewing hand-me-downs for the 9 BIG BOXES OF BOOKS my step dad thinks I should have just because my husband built me a book case! LOL
Old 09-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I had a similar problem with fabric and sewing machines, believe it or not - at one time I had 7 sewing machines, 5 portable and 2 in cabinets. I was forced to purge a lot when we moved from our 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apt. I pared down and only brought 2 machines with me, but I found good homes for the rest of the machines. Now I have 3 machines, my Janome 4000 (my main machine) an old Brother (that was free at our local incinerator where people brought things too good to throw out and left for whoever wanted them) which has proven to be a good back-up sewing machine; and recently my friend gave me a Sears Kenmore machine that she got at the incinerator swap. It seemed like a good idea as it had almost all the bells and whistles that my Janome had; however, when I went to use it, I could only take a few stitches and the machine was very loud. For now I'll keep it and maybe take it in to see if it can be repaired without taking out a loan. I've also tried hard not to accept more fabric if I can help it, although I do bring some home now and then. However, since my DH and I are both disabled and on SS, I'm happy to have my stash, as if I'm not quilting I get very, very cranky, and that's not good.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 PM

LOL...when my mother inlaw passed we got all of her books too...read some, rest went t the local library.
Originally Posted by Cecelia363 View Post
I'll trade you the sewing hand-me-downs for the 9 BIG BOXES OF BOOKS my step dad thinks I should have just because my husband built me a book case! LOL
Old 09-06-2014, 02:36 PM

You could look into selling some of those quilt supplies here on the board. Read the rules and see if it would work for you.