Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enough is Enough! >

Enough is Enough!

Enough is Enough!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Wow ... I'd love to see this stuff you're writing about! How about selling it on this site? I see you're a Super Member, so you are qualified to do this.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
All I can say is....I am appalled. I just don't get it!
Family treasure? More like family albatross. The other family members didn't want the china I was the last one it was offered too. I wasn't asked. She just brought it over and said it's yours, no one else wants it and I don't have room for it. I was appalled so you know how I felt since you are appalled too. Oh, the china was still at Salvation Army cheap, $12 for the whole two boxes, if any of the family wanted it. The two boxes were still there when we moved away four years later! So much for family treasures that everyone is so concerned about. LOLOLOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Oh yeah, friends bring bags of fabric all the time, brocades, wools, cotton so old it smells awful. I tried to explain that although I am a fabric addict I only use quilting cottons! I recycle what I can and throw away the rest!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:26 PM

At least with family I have trained them so that we openly express what we want. I explained I don't want to give them another thing to clutter up their lives or homes, but something they would really like. I also let them know which gift cards I like, including Barnes & Noble and the largest LQS in the area.

My church friends just plain 'ol asked me, since I allergic to 'smelly things' and such stuff. In other words,no candles, body or hand creams, or such stuff. I freely admitted any LQS gift card. And ... that's what they got me.

My sewing/quilting friends know that I recycle. I gve a lot the donations to our local Wesley Community Center where the teach sewing and need projects for the youngsters. One of my quilt groups has a table where you can put out something for recycle. All I had to do was say 'yes' to recycling and 'yes' to giving it where it goes best.

It is one small bit of stewardship for me.

Besides, we all know that we will be downsizing as we age and don't need more dust collectors.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM

I dont get quilty gifts except for one year my son went to an LQS and bought a beautiful fat qtr set of fabric . However I have gotten bags of fabric and other sewing items given to me when friends' relatives want to get rid of it. I put the fabric in the wash, then sort it and take out what I want. The rest I take to TX for the winter and donate to a group there that makes charity quilts.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Join the Yahoo Group Sewitsforsale, it’s free to join. People sell all kinds of Notions, Fabrics, Patterns, Rulers, etc. You might be sitting in a Gold Mine. If you can’t get $$$ for the items, then give them away.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Maybe you could put those special items or pieces of items in a Shadow box in an arrangement and hang it on the wall. Depending on How big of a Shadow Box you need .. or make some Shadow boxes for gifts...
Old 09-07-2014, 05:01 PM

We bought a quilt box a few years ago, and it is not only it is practical for storing quilted pieces, but a beautiful piece of wood. Love it!!Mariah
Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

If one wants whatever- it's a treasure

If one does not want whatever - it's a burden
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 AM

I had always heard the phrase /advice " if they are a chef, don't ever buy them something for the kitchen". When it's something you love to do, you get specific about what you like/will use and what would collect dust. Gift cards are a lovely thing if someone 'needs' to get you something. Sort, donate, freecycle, or sell what you really will not use. I like the • don't buy it for me unless it's something you'll want back when I'm gone" i try to keep this in mind with most things I buy because been there done that have lots of stuff I don't know what to do with. Good luck with your sorting, just dive in and you'll feel so much more creative afterwards!