Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ 5 design question >

EQ 5 design question

EQ 5 design question

Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Default EQ 5 design question

Happy new year!
I am playing with newly acquired eq5...before i waste a lot of time, is it possible for me to design a christmas tree skirt that consists of 8 pieces-sewn into an octagonal shape approx 54" wide? I have gone thru the first several lessons-actually designed a quilt that is in progress!
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM

I have EQ 7 so I can not be sure if my post will be correct for EQ5. In EQ7, I can either "create" a 54" block, then choose a new custom quilt(set to 54") and place my block on the quilt or design my block and choose under Quilt on the tool bar to make quilt from block.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I also don't have EQ5, but in EQ7 you can create a PatchDraw block that is octagonal in shape and 54" across. You can draw within that block, although it can be difficult to get exactly what you want.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Op with update

This is my inspiration....it is only 40"....I need more like 54". I have emailed the designer and asked if she thought I could easily enlarge her pattern, and her reply was no. She said I would need to design a whole new quilt. So I am trying! .
http://mamacjt.blogspot.com/2011/10/just-reminder.html

If I make triangular pieces that are each 27"x27"x10 5/8", am I on the right track? (With a curve at the top to accommodate the tree trunk)

Last edited by jillmc; 01-01-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM

I have EQ5. Never thought about doing your idea so I played around to see what I could come up with. The easiest way I can see is to go to your Worktable and choose Work on Block. Set up the block to whatever size is easiest to draw an octagon. Block size doesn't matter. Finish your design, making sure you add color to the slices of the octagon. Save the block.

Now go to Worktable and choose Work on Quilt. Go to Layout and change it to 1 block horizontal and 1 block vertical. Slide the size bar as far as it can go to the right. Mine would not go to 54". To get this size, you have to change your Preferences. Go to File, select Preferences. Click on Layout Limits. Under General, change Max size of block to 54". Click OK.

Now go back to Layout and you will be able to slide the size bar up to 54". On the right side tool bar, select Set Tool. Click your block and then click the center of your worktable to place the block. And you're done! Hope this helps! Have fun designing!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by cherisews View Post
I have EQ5. Never thought about doing your idea so I played around to see what I could come up with. The easiest way I can see is to go to your Worktable and choose Work on Block. Set up the block to whatever size is easiest to draw an octagon. Block size doesn't matter. Finish your design, making sure you add color to the slices of the octagon. Save the block.

Now go to Worktable and choose Work on Quilt. Go to Layout and change it to 1 block horizontal and 1 block vertical. Slide the size bar as far as it can go to the right. Mine would not go to 54". To get this size, you have to change your Preferences. Go to File, select Preferences. Click on Layout Limits. Under General, change Max size of block to 54". Click OK.

Now go back to Layout and you will be able to slide the size bar up to 54". On the right side tool bar, select Set Tool. Click your block and then click the center of your worktable to place the block. And you're done! Hope this helps! Have fun designing!
Ok....I drew the octagon, colored it, saved it. When I go to work on quilt and choose layout (tab at bottom of page) the only pop up I get says custom layout, and allows me to change length and width of center rectangle....in the Manuel, it looks like there should be a larger pop up with more choices.....sigh....I can't select set tool-it isn't highlighted...wait....I now clicked on layer 1, my block popped up in a little box, I clicked set tool, clicked my block, but it won't transfer to my layout-which is actually sized at 54"! I am getting there............

Last edited by jillmc; 01-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Jill, after you select your block is it showing a gray scale block? If so, look at the bottom of the Block pop-up. You'll see a series of arrows. Click the single arrow pointing to the right. The block will then change to the block you added color to. Click that block and then try clicking in the center of the quilt layout.

And yes, I forgot, you need to be in Layer 1 View to place a block. Sorry about that!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM

The block is in color. It has a blue highlighted frame around it. When I click it, then click the center of the "quilt" there is a circle with a line through it....
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Make sure you are on Layer 1. I only get that on Layer 2 & 3.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Thank you for your help and patience! I am taking a break! I will start over in the morning.....something just isn't right...looks like you are about an hour away from me....maybe I need to schedule a tutoring session! . Thanks again!