Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ5 is driving me crazy! >

EQ5 is driving me crazy!

EQ5 is driving me crazy!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 PM

A few months ago I asked the board if getting EQ would be worth the investment. A quilter caught my post and told me she had a copy of EQ5 that she never really got into and gave it to me for free. Awesomeness, right?

Lately I've been having these sparks of quilting inspiration so I have been trying to play around with EQ. "Trying" being the hey word here. I'll make a block and send it to the scrapbook, but when I try putting it into a quilt layout it won't let me. "Can't set drawing on base layer of quilt (use Layout Options to remove restrictions)." I can easily set the blocks already installed on the program, but a good 80% of the time I need to create my own.

The whole reason why I wanted this program was to aid in my quilting design process and I can't get the thing to work! I think the only reason why I haven't sworn at it is because I remind myself it was a generous gift from somebody and I'm not going to curse at a nice gift. Still, I'm frustrated. And there's nothing in the Help section of the software that tells me what I'm doing wrong. What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 PM

I feel for you, I'm trying to get the hang of EQ7 I got as a Christmas gift but not having much luck. Someday I'll figure it out and I'm sure you will too.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

try setting it back to the default settings. I'm taking an online class from Quilt University..and thats one of the things she suggested. I don't know if it works with EQ5 but its worth a try.. I bought EQ6 and then upgraded to EQ7 and myself got frustrated with little things..decided I needed guidance. Do you have the manual book?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM

I'll take alook at my EQ5 tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Were you on Easy Draw or Patchdraw when you created the block? Look at the bottom left of your screen - are you on layer 1?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Did you install the help videos. I don't know if the answer is there, just a suggestion.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by kittenquilts
I'll take alook at my EQ5 tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Were you on Easy Draw or Patchdraw when you created the block? Look at the bottom left of your screen - are you on layer 1?
I was on EasyDraw. I was on Layer 1 when trying to lay the block down. I kind of get the gist of the layers---1 is where you point and click to set a block, 2 is where you click and drag to manually sizew the block, and 3 is for stencilwork.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by trirainbow
Did you install the help videos. I don't know if the answer is there, just a suggestion.
There are help videos, but not anything that helped me understand what I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 PM

http://doyoueq.com/phpBB3/viewforum....1f9a7e3dcdf274

EQ has a forum for asking questions specifically about EQ5. Hope you find your answer.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Kas

I hate my eq5. I want something I can make do what I want it to do, not have to take a course each time I start it up. Very frustrating. I feel your pain.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Banned

EQ7 is light years ahead of EQ5. However, free is free! Try setting your block on layer 2, using "shift + drag" to place it with your mouse.