Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 help! >

EQ7 help!

EQ7 help!

Old 08-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Default EQ7 help!

I designed a small table runner. I have found the info on how much fabric I need of each color.

Question:

Is there somewhere I can find the size of the blocks? I need more direction. Do I need to write down the size I chose for the borders, etc?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Kitty: You chose the size of the block when you designed it. If you go back to the 'work on block' portion the rulers along the side tell you what size your block was designed as, this can be any size YOU choose. Then when you move to the 'work on quilt' portion you tell the program what size your block is in the 'layout section'. The block should be the same size in both places so that your fabric amounts and the size of the finished quilt (at the bottom of the page) are the correct amounts.. When you get to the stage where you are turning your quilt design into the real thing, all these steps become very important. If you look under the tutorial section Rhonda has taken the time to give us a really superior tutorial that should really help you.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Just to be clear, it doesn't really matter what size you choose for the block on the work table when you design it, since when you get to the quilt layout you tell it the size of the blocks that make up the quilt, and the blocks that you place on the quilt are automatically scaled to that size. When you want to print cutting sizes for the block, however, it is important that you enter the same size as what you used in your quilt layout. You enter the size of the borders on the borders tab.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

good point, dunster. just to add... when you want to print the cutting sizes, one can just check the box that says 'size from quilt' and it automatically makes the block that you specified in your layout. but i like to design my block the same size that i use in the quilt layout as, then, the block pieces don't come out weird sizes.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Gees. I obviously need to spend some time looking at some tutorials. Im going to check out Rhondas.

To explain more what I mean. I choose a very simple block... said I wanted it to be 9 inches. So the block is obviously not a square!...I mean, it has several colors and pieces to make up my 9 inch block! Thats what I would like to be easy but it seems like I might have to find some other chart or something.

On to the tutorial!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
Gees. I obviously need to spend some time looking at some tutorials. Im going to check out Rhondas.

To explain more what I mean. I choose a very simple block... said I wanted it to be 9 inches. So the block is obviously not a square!...I mean, it has several colors and pieces to make up my 9 inch block! Thats what I would like to be easy but it seems like I might have to find some other chart or something.

On to the tutorial!
In the block view, if you print/rotary cutting (and fill in the correct block size), the program will show you what size pieces you need to cut out of each fabric for your block.