Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Estate Sale find - what would you make with these fabrics?

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I totally love the landscape idea! You have plenty of fabric for that and you will have a lovely wall hanging when you are done. I'm working on my first one, but it's on hold right now.
    Isn't that funny. I hadn't even considered the wall hanging angle. I'm so glad I started this thread. I have seen so many things and ideas I didn't realise were out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    You have the beginnings of a great French Braid.
    Oh those are gorgeous! I'd never seen one of those before, but the goggle images search showed me so many beautiful ones. Thanks for this idea!
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 503J, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99k, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Ultralock 14u64a (Serger), Pfaff 130-6, and a Kangaroo coming Nov 2013.

I would probably set aside the yellow and the red flower fabrics for another project. Check out 'Quilter's Cache' website for thousands of block patterns that are rated by difficulty.
    To QUILT is human.
    To FINISH is divine.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4369F3FA17.png

Post a photo when you get a quilt done, I'd love to see what you decided.

I like the idea of a sampler quilt with each block different. It would give you a chance to try several different ones and grow. When I learned to quilt we did a 6 block sampler, each block was a different technique. We had a basket, a log cabin (4 smaller one put together to make a 12" block), applique, reverse applique, a curved one(I did rob peter to pay paul using a drunkard path template), and it was either a block with a "y" seam or a star block, (I did lemoyne star). With each one you will learn something new. You can choose a variety that you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie View Post
    I would probably set aside the yellow and the red flower fabrics for another project. Check out 'Quilter's Cache' website for thousands of block patterns that are rated by difficulty.
    I spent a heck of a lot of time on that site picking out stuff I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
    Post a photo when you get a quilt done, I'd love to see what you decided.
    Definitely. I have my head terribly full of blocks and ideas you've all so generously offered, so I think the next thing to do is determine what I can do with this much fabric and find what coordinates, preferably in my stash already.

I did the math tonight, there's 11.09 sqft of fabric in that package with all the numbers rounded down, ie 12.4" became 12" for the calculations. That's just shy of a lineal meter x roughly 42"

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    I like the idea of a sampler quilt with each block different. It would give you a chance to try several different ones and grow. When I learned to quilt we did a 6 block sampler, each block was a different technique. We had a basket, a log cabin (4 smaller one put together to make a 12" block), applique, reverse applique, a curved one(I did rob peter to pay paul using a drunkard path template), and it was either a block with a "y" seam or a star block, (I did lemoyne star). With each one you will learn something new. You can choose a variety that you feel comfortable with.
    That sounds great too! about 6 months ago I spent some time going through a book of blocks and picked out about a dozen I'd like to make in a sampler. I wonder how many would work with these fabrics...
    *wanders off to go find that list*

I'll pull out some of the blenders I have tomorrow and see if I have any great matches to supplement.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 431G, 411G, 503J, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99k, 99, 115, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Ultralock 14u64a (Serger), Pfaff 130-6, and a Kangaroo coming Nov 2013.

Ok,.. these are the fabrics I think can work with the fabrics, or some of them.

With the original fabrics:
    Name:  IMG_5340.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  114.7 KB

The three of them on their own:

Name:  IMG_5339.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  109.1 KB

The one on the left is another one I acquired from the Estate Sale. The one on the right seems too "literal" to me to match the batiks alone, though maybe cut into smaller pieces it wouldn't be an issue. The one in the middle is my favorite.

I'd love to hear what thoughts these three "blenders" bring about.

And I guess for the sake of non-censorship, this is the sum total of my entire quilting cotton stash (the big fleece kitties and craft sized batting not withstanding)

Name:  IMG_5346.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.

I think your fabrics all work wonderfully. There is enough "literalness" in some of the other fabrics, such as the ferns, to blend with yours and the colors are great!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I vote that you send it to me and I will figure something out!! Seriously, those are pretty fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    I think your fabrics all work wonderfully. There is enough "literalness" in some of the other fabrics, such as the ferns, to blend with yours and the colors are great!!
    You know, I put the ferns right on top of the green literal one, and it doesn't look bad at all. I don't think I "See" these things naturally. Maybe with more practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
    I vote that you send it to me and I will figure something out!! Seriously, those are pretty fabrics.
    LOL! It's nice to see that people don't think "Ugh! What poor taste" It's a good start.

I saw this today from a link someone posted here:
    http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...squares_quilts
    This looks like a great size for the "small" amount of some of the fabrics I have...

I'd remove bright multi-color on black and then have a picnic with the others. That one piece might work well as a narrow border, but not much more. That's my preference of course.
    Don't think you could go very wrong with your choices.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5