Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever go on a Quilting Retreat? >

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 AM

I love retreats but unfortunately there aren't too many around this area. I have been to 3 and really liked them a lot.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM

I agree with Dunster. The housing is too small, quilting in a shed is boring, and what will be the attraction for attendees? I would think a retreat area needs to accommodate at least 20 guests (or larger) and the necessary staff. A big bright room for quilting is needed, but it must be accessible without going outside, needs windows and ideally view. After quilting all day, I want a break and would enjoy a peaceful walk. What is the scenery like? How close is the nearest quilt shop? If it is not convenient, then basic quilting necessities would need to be offered for sale. I don't think a business can exist as only a quilting retreat. Are there plans for other uses like family gatherings or business meetings?

Personally, this idea sounds more like the person wants their own personal quilting retreat and are trying to justify it to their spouse.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:33 AM

This is all really great information, ladies, thank you! With having no experience in it, the idea of doing a financial analysis was daunting. You all brought up very good points. When I shared some of them via text with the investor, she was concerned about some of the same things. She mentioned she may be better off having me look at a chunk of land (or larger area) which would accommodate many of the ideas you mentioned.

Lordy.....sometimes I wish I wasn't a numbers gal
Thanks again!

On the flip side.....they DO sound like fun. So....I may have to check some of these out
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There are many groups/people that regularly lead or hold quilting retreats all over the USA. Try to find some of these online and ask your questions there. Those responses would be much more 'professional' than most answers you'll get with this kind of question here. Good luck; sounds like an interesting adventure for you.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 AM

Yes, 2 times a year Spring/Fall in Ocean City, MD. My mother and I are from the area; but we still stay at the hotel this is like a mini vacation for me and mom to spend time together and enjoy each other. I have been since 2013, and look forward to it each year. If you are thinking about it, do it you will meet some powerful women like yourself and form a friendship, then you will look forward to it each year it comes around. Take necessary items that you need to work on and this is a good time to take all those UFO. I want to say just do it. Be Blessed
Old 07-08-2016, 04:39 AM

I'm getting ready to go on one this upcoming week from Thurs. to Sunday. Can't wait. All meals are included! That leaves all the time for sewing and visiting! It's just great. I guess the only thing that isn't my favorite is sleeping with people I don't know. But, of course, you are just sleeping for a short time. The one thing you will want to be sure to have in your sewing area is good chairs, great lighting, and lots of design walls. A cutting and ironing area are really nice, too.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:16 AM

My guild does two week-end retreats each year, spring and fall. I enjoy them immensely. I usually get one quilt finished per week-end. But I learn from other quilters, get to cheer for their finishes and find new friends! Any time you get to know another person in a little deeper way it is worth it to me. Yes, I found those who say crap, shoot and $#@^! but then I also find those that laugh at errors, yell HELP! when they need it and who offer to lead a hand when sandwiching a quilt.

We go to a church camp retreat center and have 40 - 50. I know that in my area, southern Michigan, there are several homes that have been converted into week-end retreat sites. Many of my scrap booking friends go to these and they have perhaps a maximum of 8 - 10 per week-end group.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:46 AM

I go to at least 3 or 4 a year. One is from Sunday - Friday at an Ohio bed and breakfast. We have 24 attend every year and the owner cooks for us. We are the only group she will do this for. We have it down to two meals because ladies sewing don't need to stop for three meals a day and her meals are wonderful. We even have requested soup and sandwich instead of big dinners. Oh, and she makes some snacks.

Then there is one at a Catholic retreat center from Friday - Tuesday. This one is for all kinds of crafters and there are about 50 of us from Chicago to Indianapolis and all around. Wonderful spot with private rooms and the most comfortable stacking chairs I have ever sat in. We eat our meals at the convent next door. Simple and ordinary but we don't have to cook or clean up.

Then there are the guild retreats which are usually in a State lodge with meals provided by the restaurant at the lodge. These are shorter weekend type retreats.

Oh, and I go to the Holly Girls retreat in Northern Michigan which is Tues-Saturday. We stay at the lodge and have to find our own meals. Some rent condos but I find the refrigerator and microwave plus a few good restaurants does well. After all I am on retreat and want to sew all day.

I usually don't like short weekend retreats due to packing, setting up and then repacking. Takes too much time and effort.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:55 AM

I have never been to one, but I would love to! If anyone hears of one in Oregon or Washington please let me know!!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieI View Post
I have never been to one, but I would love to! If anyone hears of one in Oregon or Washington please let me know!!
Try your local quilt shops and guild(s).

I have a group of quilting friends and we don't wait to hear of commercial retreats, we simply organize our own. We've set them up at retreat centers and hotels during their non-peak seasons, and they are quite affordable, especially if you negotiate discounted rates. The major things we look for are: a well-lit room, plenty of power for machines & irons, and private or semi-private rooms. (My group isn't into dorm-style housing.) On-site food service is a plus but not a deal-breaker.