Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever go on a Quilting Retreat? >

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Ever go on a Quilting Retreat?

Old 07-09-2016, 04:51 AM

when I was younger I use to love retreats just fun to get away and sew with other quilters I now live not far from this one never been there but they have a very good web site sounding like what you are talking about I think the house must belong to one of the quilt shops there and you can check them out and get lots of info by googling windy stitches livingston mt. hope this helps you
Old 07-09-2016, 05:16 AM

Default first one

I went to my first retreat in May. There were about 25 women there and we had the sewing in a conference room. There were 3 ironing boards with irons, a large table to lay out blocks, and extra lights. I got a lot done, not sure if I would have if the space was smaller. We got to spread out because of the size of the room. The cost, including a room for two nights was $250, with meals except one lunch. I will go again if there is that much space. Not sure a garage would be sufficient for tables, ironing stations, and supplies quilters bring.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 AM

I am one of "those" people. I do not share a room. Did not have sisters or cousins close by to do the over night thing. If it house has 3 bedrooms, I would definitely want one solo.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The house you're describing wouldn't be interesting to me for a quilting retreat, unless there are features that you haven't mentioned. Quilting in a garage sounds dreary, and having to trek to it from the main house in bad weather (hot, cold, or wet) could be a problem for many. Also the number of people it can accommodate is quite low. Most retreat sites that I'm familiar with have more to offer. I would suggest that you work with the numbers, determine how much income the site needs to produce to break even (including taxes, upgrades, maintenance, insurance for this type of use, etc.), and then show how many bookings per year at various price points would be needed to meet this goal. If you can get some input from local guilds that is good, but I think it really is up to the buyers to decide whether they can entice people to come there.
I agree. I"m not sure that a house as small as the one that you mentioned would be a good fit for a retreat. Most guilds have way more than 8 members going on retreats and the garage/quilting area would probably need a lot of work to make it a nice area. I would imagine the costs for having an 8 person retreat with their own house would be fairly steep so you'd have to find out if anyone is even willing to pay that much for a retreat. I don't know what area you're in but my first step would be to see if there is even any interest in a retreat at the prices you'd have to have.

Also, remember you are going to have several months every year that there will be no retreats. November, December and January and usually dead. Plus summers arent' going to be active. So that would leave you 6 months to make however much you have to make.

Just a thought but you might want to expand to others for use just to keep it full. But, again, I'm not sure how many groups would be interested in a venue that small.

Oh, and I totally don't want to cook on a retreat, but have many food sensitivities. I'm not alone in this so that's something to keep in mind also.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM

The house you mentioned might be more suitable for needlework or knitting retreats as those can be more intimate and cozy. I regularly go to quilting retreats and more space us needed. I have hosted needlework retreats, small ones as accommodations only allow for 8 - 10 and a hose with enough beds (4 -5 bedrooms) is sufficient for that.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Have gone to guild retreats (planned 2 with a co-conspirator) and had gone on retreat with my small group. We are fortunate to have camps in our area for retreats. One in the foothills, very picturesque and meals are provided, another camp on the Kitsap peninsula which is more of a distance and a ferry ride. The small group, The Materialistics, retreated at a state park that had large Victorian houses which were officers' housing when the park was a military outpost. We sewed in one half of the house and meals were in the other. We planned meals and went out the first night. The down side was we had to cook and we had to haul all of our stuff up stairs. The town had a quilt shop, a fabric store and the hardware/general store had fabric. The last retreats we had were in a former convent turned into conference center. We did not have to worry about making meals, the grounds were lovely and we had a great space to work in. The last time we retreated was in October 2001 - we were younger then and now we all would rather sew at home and get together and visit and have show and tell.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Power Poster

I've gone to retreats twice a year for a few years now and the draw is the location. Retreat is literally a football field distance from the ocean. First time I went I had met one of the participants in person but soon got to know the others. I LOVE going to this retreat. The meeting room has issues BUT it is right on the ocean. Who can find fault there? Everyone pools their money to have food at the event so we don't have to take time to go out to lunch. (We do enjoy the seafood options at dinner.) Not sure I would feel the same about a retreat in a "garage". I'd either really have to like my quilting sisters or the retreat would have to offer something else "special" and I can't say what that would be for me (off the top of my head).
Old 07-11-2016, 04:04 PM

I am currently opening a quilting retreat. I purchased a retired church that was built in 1870- steeple/ bell in the tower and all. I will be able to accommodate 8 quilters in two bedrooms of 4 guests each. The work room is quite generous in size with 8 foot tables and wheeled task chairs. My building is 100% ADA complaint with entrance ramp, roll in shower with seat, hand rails around the toilet, wheelchair space around the beds etc. My retreat will be self directed in that it will be up to 8 friends. They will prepare their own meals. I have a fully equipped kitchen. There are several restaurants locally as well as a grocery store. One restaurant has delivery available. All linens are provided. My cost is $35 per night per quilter. This is the same rate as another one that is within my demographic area. The other one is not fully ADA compliant, only houses 5 quilters and is horrible to get into in bad weather. I will open in September (fingers crossed). I enjoy going to similar retreats because the more organized ones usually have set meal times and I don't always like to stop just to eat. Also they always seem to be hosted on weekends that I have other plans.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Hmm. Buying a place for a retreat is kinda iffy. Lots of space needed for tables, chairs, ironing boards, cutting centers, snack area, sleeping arrangements, bathroom facilities adequate. Accessibility issues need to be covered. Is it easy to unload machines and gear? Do the campers have to 'walk outside to the privies?' Does it have appropriate electrical to handle all the machines, lamps, irons, etc [remember some quilters will bring their own irons even if told not to do so.] Does the kitchen area need health department inspection and what is needed to meet the code?
Does the property have city water and sewage or is it on a well and septic tank. Is there a nearby fire department and hospital? Emergencies happen. Will the facilities be staffed overnight or will the owners live-in? Again, what is the set up for cleaning and maintenance? Who will be doing the cooking? or catering? or providing sustenance?
Is a permit necessary to have such a facility.
What type of insurance coverage would they need or could they help provide info for such to the various clients. All the retreats I have been on the guild/group/class had to show proof of insurance in order to use the facilities..
What type of rules would the client be expected to abide by? [One grouup that I belong to finally began requiring campers to have their medical information handed in in a sealed envelope before they could start the retreat. [As a retired NP I was glad they did it. Heck, a lot of my clients didn't remember their medications; so why should the clients be expected to?]
On a more positive note, scrapbookers use as much space and electricity. Some knitters like having space too. Who even the end users are they will appreciate a living room for downtime, visiting, or just plain 'ol doing handwork.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM

i live near Salem, Massachusetts and we often have Sit n Sews for the day at the House of Seven Gables, which was Nathaniel Hawthorne's birthplace. Lots of visitors peek in to see what we are making. We pay $20 to sew for eight hours. We have lunch delivered from a local spot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553841[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails gables.jpg