Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever Sewen Sparrow 20 >

Ever Sewen Sparrow 20

Ever Sewen Sparrow 20

Old 08-01-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Ever Sewen Sparrow 20

I have been thinking about buying a new Ever Sewen Sparrow 20 sewing machine for $225.00 and I was wondering if anybody has this machine and what do you about it? Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 PM

I clicked on your link but didn't find the machine you are talking about. It is now a brand I've ever heard of. If I were buying a machine I would go to a local dealer to see what they have available -- even it you bought a used machine from a dealer I think you would be better off. In my opinion having a dealer to service my machine is very important. I've never purchased this sort of item off the internet -- not sure what sort of guarantee or warranty they offer.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 PM

Can you give us a link? I've never heard of it before
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Why are you wanting to buy this particular machine? It is not a well-known brand; I had to look it up on Amazon to even figure out what it is. I would be much more inclined to go with a well-known brand, such as the Brother machines sold at Walmart. They are in a similar price range with (I think) similar features, and the Brother machines have a decent track record.

Edit: For those interested, here is a link to the machine on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Eversewn-Spar...dp/B01FEIANCM/

And here is a link to a Brother machine on Amazon in approximately the same price range:
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featu...dp/B000JQM1DE/

The Eversew has no reviews while the Brother has over 6,000 reviews. Just at a quick glance, the only possible advantage I can see that the Eversew might have is a somewhat larger harp area (space underneath the arm) than the Brother.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 AM

I would buy the brother. This machine was made in China and also has only 1 review. It sounds good, but you know what they say about that...too good to be true. Buy a machine locally, that way if something goes wrong you don't have to ship it back. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of this model before. I am just wary of anything new.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dluvs2quilt View Post
I have been thinking about buying a new Ever Sewen Sparrow 20 sewing machine for $225.00 and I was wondering if anybody has this machine and what do you about it? Thanks
This brand is now being sold at my local quilt shop. It is a recent addition to their other machines. I'm told it has metal gears instead of plastic throw away gears that are used in so many of the new manufactured machines. One lady loves hers.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 AM

I have never heard of this machine before but I have to say that the stitches are impressive a lot more than my Brother has. I have probably purchased 5 Brother sewing machines throughout the years that I have gifted to others and would likely continue to do that however if it were a machine that I could try out for close to 30 days and return if I wasn't happy with it then I would definitely try this out.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

All metal parts doesn't mean a whole lot these days. If the metal parts are not machined to high accuracy (the way they were with the vintage machines), wear on the parts will occur, parts will weaken and break, and the machine just in general will be noisy as it sews. Plastics have come a long way since they were first introduced. It's true that, when plastics were first used in sewing machines, they tended to be the first parts to break. However, the plastics used in today's machines are considerably different. Plastics used in high stress areas of the machine may be similar in strength to metal, and I would guess it is easier and cheaper to form plastic to very precise machining measurements than some metals. A side benefit of non-all-metal machines is that they are lighter in weight; all-metal machines tend to be so heavy no one wants to try to transport them to classes, other locations, etc.

I just don't think the "all metal parts" issue is a good reason to buy one machine over another. Plastics these days are very good. What matters more to me than "all metal parts" is how finely machined those parts are. Crude machining will product a noisy machine that wears out fast.

Plus, how do you know it's all metal? Can you open up the machine and test all the parts? Is the "all metal parts" included in the published literature about the machine? Or is it someone just telling you this? I would think that someone who wants an all-metal machine should be shopping for a vintage machine.

Edit: I would note also that neither of the machines seems to have the needle-down feature, which is a feature quilters often use.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-02-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=mike'sgirl;7617212]I would buy the brother. This machine was made in China and also has only 1 review. It sounds good, but you know what they say about that...too good to be true. Buy a machine locally, that way if something goes wrong you don't have to ship it back. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE

Country of origin isn't necessarily a down side. Almost all sewing machines are now made in China, Japan or Taiwan.

Cari