Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
F M quilting Help please >

F M quilting Help please

F M quilting Help please

Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Default F M quilting Help please

Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked so many times, but here goes again. I have a Brother NX-400 and have been trying to teach myself to fm quilt. The trouble is my stitches never seem to have an overall length and I'm not sure either what stitch length to set on my machine.I've tried going faster, slower, nothing seems to help. My manual says nothing about stitch length either. I have tried to practice, practice as they say, looked at utube tutes,nothing seems to set me on the right path. Maybe it's my old brain, I have always throughout my quilting life been a hand sewer/ quilter --- is it too late to learn ? Letty.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Usually you set your stitch length to zero. When you FMQ, you control your stitch length by moving the fabric. You don't use the feed dogs, so the machine can't control with the stitch length. If you have your feed dogs up, try it with them lowered. If they don't lower, tape an index card over them, with a small hole for the needle to go thru. If you have them down, try putting them up. While many people FMQ with feed dogs down, others have success with them up. Remember fast feet (run the machine at high speed) and slow hands (move the fabric slowly and evenly). It takes A LOT of practice! Also, this is one technique that you can really benefit from hands on instruction. See if a quilting shop in your area offers a FMQ class.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Everything she said plus I wear garden gloves with the little rubber nubs. They help to keep my hands from sliding. Move your hands slower until you get stitch length to your liking. It does take some practice. Never too late to learn.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM

I have the NX-400 also. You can set the stitch length at .2 (as small as it goes); lower the feeddogs by moving the switch at back of machine. I suspect with feeddogs down the stitch length setting doesn't matter anyhow. At any given machine speed, it's how fast you move the fabric that determines stitch length. And are you using a darning foot or spring-loaded needle?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Feed dogs down. No adjustment on stitch length. Only go the speed you are comfortable witch. Move hands and quilt at a pace to have good balance between speed of machine and movement of hands to get size of stitch you want. Length about what. 3 on machine would be.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

yep, the movement of the quilt determines the stitch length you will get. fairly fast pedal speed and slower hand movement of quilt. relax and put on some music too maybe. then try again. if you do jerky or too fast movements your stitches will not look good. easy as you go.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM

I don't think it's ever too late to learn a new skill, bu it definitely takes getting used to. I had been sewing for more than 25 years when I first tried FMQ. It just goes completely against ingrained habit to move the fabric any direction but straight back under the presser foot. I didn't think I'd ever get it right. My first attempts looked pretty pitiful, but I was determined to learn. I stuck with it and eventually it got easier and easier. I will never win a competition, but my quilting looks good enough for me and I actually enjoy doing FMQ now. Hang in there! And I also would encourage you to see if a local shop or guild might be able to give you hands-on help.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by nanibi View Post
I have the NX-400 also. You can set the stitch length at .2 (as small as it goes); lower the feeddogs by moving the switch at back of machine. I suspect with feeddogs down the stitch length setting doesn't matter anyhow. At any given machine speed, it's how fast you move the fabric that determines stitch length. And are you using a darning foot or spring-loaded needle?
Thank you for your kind replies,helpful as always.I do lower the feed dogs and use the spring loaded needle.Anyway I tried again today and as you all said slowed down my movement of the cloth.I have to giggle though ,I seem to panic as I sew-as if I'm in a race, that's when things go haywire.The funny thing is I do manage to do free motion embroidery-- just the prim style.Practice I'm sure will make ( something approaching ) perfect. Love Letty