Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric Basket Question

As I've mentioned in another post, I've just ordered some extra deep book shelves to begin sorting out my fabric and books etc...

What I'm not sure about is the choice of storage boxes on the shelves. Is it like scrapbooking where it's best to have acid and lignen free containers, or is the fabric ok whatever it's kept in?

Preferably I would like to buy wicker baskets because they look nice, but would they be suitable, or would wire baskets work better.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Joanne

I prefer clear. its easy to grab the right box/bin without having to open them all, even with the best labeling on a nice box, clear is still easier for me :D

I like wicker, but is easier to see in the wire.

Plastic bins and large totes for me, but I think it's a matter of preference.

Blog Entries
    Yes, storing fabric on bare wood is not a good idea. Plastic, wire and wicker are all good options :D

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wire would be easier to see into but I agree that wicker would be prettier. I wonder if you could "label" wicker baskets by covering them or making a ribbon for them out of the color family that will be stored in the basket?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Wire would be easier to see into but I agree that wicker would be prettier. I wonder if you could "label" wicker baskets by covering them or making a ribbon for them out of the color family that will be stored in the basket?
    What a great idea! I can just visualise shelves with neat wicker baskets all lined up, with a pretty 'ribbon' on each one.

Renee

I like wicker also...how about a colorful hangtag on each....these could be colored paper on a ribbon....cleaning that basket make a new tag...use multi colors for a system or all one color....like yellow for thread, green for fabric squares, buttons and snaps purple,extra blade small seam rippers..red :wink: or write on each tag for odd stuff

Blog Entries
    When I decorated my sewing room I went for pretty and found out pretty and practical didn't work together for me. I had the baskets for storage but changed to the white craft boxes sold at WalMart. There is a slot for a label and stack great on book shelves and doesn't look as stark as the plastic. The bigger craft boxes are great for UFOs and quilt kits, and fat quarters. I have one big basket for fabric scraps to be sorted later.

Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions.

The shelves arrive tomorrow, so I'm off storage shopping on Tuesday with Mum, although shopping with her I think we'll end up in more cafes drinking tea than doing anything practical. :D

Hubby threw a spanner in the works earlier today by wanting to know why I was buying new furniture before we'd painted the walls!!!

I didn't realise 'we' were!