Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
How to make a coiled fabric basket using clothesline and strips of fabric >

How to make a coiled fabric basket using clothesline and strips of fabric

How to make a coiled fabric basket using clothesline and strips of fabric

Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Well, here's my first attempt at a tutorial. Please bear with me...there are over 40 pictures that show the step by step procedure so it's going to take awhile to upload all these pics!

With each picture there will be a caption describing (as best I can) what is occurring in each step. Hopefully the pics and written instructions working together will make things pretty clear.

Please note that this technique is NOT original to me by any means! I purchased the book, "It's a Wrap...Sewing Fabric Purses, Baskets, and Bowls" by Susan Breier and used her method for making this basket.

Overall, I have enjoyed the 2 baskets I have made. I will probably make more but be forewarned...if you choose to make one, it will take time! This is not a "quicky" project. Now if you make something like a placemat or coaster the project won't take long, but if you want a nice basket that you would use for yourself or give to a friend, I do recommend taking your time and enjoy the process (though it's a bit tedious) because in the end, the results will be something that you will be really pleased with!

Best of luck to all who decide to try this! blessings, Karen

Fabrics chosen for basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238578[/ATTACH]

After washing and pressing the fabric I cut 1/2 inch wide strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238579[/ATTACH]

You can see here that I cut about 5-6 strips of each color. (I cut more for the base color)I wasn't sure how much I would use but I did end up using most of the strips. I have then laid out in the order that I thought they would look good in the basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238580[/ATTACH]

This is the clothesline that I purchased from WalMart. At my store it was 2.88 per package. This basket and handles...required about a package and a half. The author recommended a cotton clothesline but I could not find it in the stores in my area. This was soft enough for my machine and firm enough to give the basket some strength.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238582[/ATTACH]

I trimmed the end of the clothesline and put it about 1/4 inch from the end of the strip of fabric. I'm using a fabric glue to secure it but the author used a glue stick.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238584[/ATTACH]

Added a dab of glue and folded the end over
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238585[/ATTACH]

Added another dot of glue and folded the end over again to secure the end of the clothesline well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238586[/ATTACH]

Now to start the process of wrapping the line with the strip at an angle. Wrap at an angle so that each wrap covers the edge of the previous fabric. Keep wrapping in the same direction throughout the course of your project.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238588[/ATTACH]

Wrap the clothesline for about 8 inches then stop momentarily to sew a straight stitch down the center of the clothesline for about 5 inches to secure everything well. This will be what you use to make the coil for the center of the basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238591[/ATTACH]

This is the clothesline after it has been wrapped with one strip of fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238592[/ATTACH]

This the the center of the basket. Starting with the end of the wrapped line, coil it tightly until it's about 2 inches in diameter. You may have to pin or baste it to keep it tight. Then sew (with a straight stitch) an x across the coils to secure it tightly. Keep the tail of the coil to the right of the needle. Once, you've sewn the x then you will change your settings to a zig zag stitch. The ideal zig zag stitch is about 1/4 inch wide. Start in the center and work your way around slowly in a circle. The very start of it is more difficult. Don't worry, as the base grows, it's easier to zig zag around.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238599[/ATTACH]

Once I decided the size of the base, then it was time to start building up the side. This is done by angling the base in one of 4 positions. The first position creates a gradual transition from the base coil to the sides. This is done by sewing a row with your fingers just under the base...not lifting the base as yet. Angled position 2 creates a sharper transition. Your will lift the base coil (with the base under the presser foot) up about 2 inches or so from the bed of the machine. Angled position 3 creates a basket with slightly angled sides. This is done by lifting the base more...till it touches or nearly touches the vertical side of the machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238602[/ATTACH]

See the tape on the base? This marks the spot where I will change fabrics so it's all done on one side of the basket.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238604[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238572.jpe   attachment-238573.jpe   attachment-238574.jpe   attachment-238576.jpe   attachment-238578.jpe  

attachment-238579.jpe   attachment-238580.jpe   attachment-238582.jpe   attachment-238585.jpe   attachment-238586.jpe  

attachment-238593.jpe   attachment-238596.jpe   attachment-238598.jpe  
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Karen, thank YOU so much for taking the time to do this tutorial! I am definitely going to give this a try. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
np3
Power Poster

Very interesting technique!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Please bear with this tutorial. It has timed out and I'm waiting for a response from the administrator to see if there is anyway I can continue adding pics without starting a new post...which I think would be confusing to some. Also it was moved from tutorials to general chit chat...don't understand that but at least that's where you can find it.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

I can't wait to try this!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

You're doing a great job, pics are Very helpful!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM

It won't let you click "Add New Attachment" any more??? You could add them as a new post on this same thread if it won't let you add immediately after the others.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
It won't let you click "Add New Attachment" any more??? You could add them as a new post on this same thread if it won't let you add immediately after the others.
good idea.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tutorial!!