Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bundles >

Fabric bundles

Fabric bundles

Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Default Fabric bundles

Someone gave me a bunch of fat quarter and fat eighths bundles. I don't normally buy bundles (or FQ for that matter). After searching this forum on the question of prewash/shrinking fabrics, I'm kind of glad I haven't! I have always prewashed and shrunk cotton fabrics but I took these out of the bundles and thought "Self, HOW does one preshrink these little things? Or does one preshrink them?"

Fortunately, I knew I'd find the answer here. I'm going to skip it for these and see what happens.

Thanks to all!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM

I buy kazillions of FQ bundles and they are actually easy to prewash.

I use my rotary cutter with a pinking blade on an old cutting mat and pink the edges of the FQ.

zip zip zip

Then wash as usual by colour family. As you remove each FQ you may have to snip off any long hanging threads. Then throw into the dryer.

Pinking does several things: it eliminates most or the worst of unraveling threads and it makes it easy to tell that its been prewashed.

BTW, I pink all my fabrics before washing for the same reasons. Use an old cutting mat: the pinking blade is a mat killer even on self-healing mats.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM

I'm one of the "crazies" (said with love, after all I'm in the group) who does pre wash fqs... Mainly due to allergens in many of the people I make things for. The sizing used in many fabrics also gets to me. I also participate in several of the swaps here on QB, and sometimes get fabrics from smokers. Which is not a complaint, because when we sign up for swaps, that's something that can happen.
I usually wash them by hand, warm water, "Free and Clear" soap. Sorry, have to laugh at that, as it's certainly NOT free when I go to purchase it! Badda Bing
I either pinking shear them or clip a tiny bit off each corner (supposed to help prevent the unraveling, not sure it really does) then I wash them by hand. There's been a few (especially reds) that it took a bit for the water to run clear, so I'm glad I pre washed on those for sure.
I then carefully "wring" them, smooth them out, hang them to drop dry. Usually when they're damp I press them.
I'll admit, it's work. But there is something nice about putting up a fresh smelling piece of smoothly pressed fabric...lol
Regards,
Kif
PS I had to pre wash a jelly roll once, it turned into a crumb cake... never again!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Put them in the see through bags that you wash delicate items in warm/cold water and make sure you use a couple of color catchers just in case some bleed or use the new Purex No Sort for colors. Then dry in dryer on low for 10 minutes and finger press them and hang them up. I do the same for the charm packs but they usually always shrink 1/2" on one side so I make sure to use them for 41/2" projects.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:59 PM

I guess some might call me crazy too, but here goes...... I have been quilting since 1975, and I have never pre-washed my fabric! I sometimes wash my quilts after they have been quilted, to get that crinkled look, but not always, and I have never ever had any problems of any kind.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I guess some might call me crazy too, but here goes...... I have been quilting since 1975, and I have never pre-washed my fabric! I sometimes wash my quilts after they have been quilted, to get that crinkled look, but not always, and I have never ever had any problems of any kind.
Music to my ears!! I have only been quilting 4 years, but the only thing I have ever pre-washed was fabric that was red. Glad to hear that I may be okay with that...though I know it is really just personal preference.

Dina
Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Neither have I. I have done what Harriet Hargrave taught me to pre-wash a test sample of a fabric and leave it to dry on a white paper towel. Occasionally, I have passed on using a navy blue and maybe a red but usually nothing else has a problem.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I wash them in the sink & spin in salad spinner.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM

If the precut is a deep color (red, navy, black and some browns) I will hand wash in cold water with dish liquid (usually Palmolive - if I can wash a dog with it, I figure I can wash a FQ!), wring out and iron dry. Never had a problem with excess raveling. Have not tried to wash jelly rolls but have washed scraps (charm size and less) that I received from others by the above method without problems.

If the fabric is not prone to running (i.e., color), I just spritz with water, iron out the wrinkles and quilt away. I am not a prewasher, nor a quilt washer. (Uh oh...is that the quilt police I hear pulling into my driveway? )
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM

I'm with Kif. I pre-wash everything but rick-rack. My washing machine has a hand-wash cycle. I set it to "Tap Water Cold" - "Hand Wash" - "Ultra Short Cycle". I add about a Tablespoon of Tide Free. Then, I move them to the dryer & tumble dry on Low heat.

The only fabrics I've ever had issues with shrinking are the Joann fabrics, but I like to get the sizing & other chemicals out. I quilt for babies & have very sensitive skin myself so pre-washing it is. Doesn't take much time (8 minutes in the washer, 12 in the dryer) & besides removing allergens, it also seems to help the Wonder Under hold a bit better for my applique work.

But... to each her own. If you don't need to pre-wash, save the water & send the quilt police over to my house. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I do "wrong". lol