Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bundles >

Fabric bundles

Fabric bundles

Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JulieW8 View Post
Someone gave me a bunch of fat quarter and fat eighths bundles. I don't normally buy bundles (or FQ for that matter). After searching this forum on the question of prewash/shrinking fabrics, I'm kind of glad I haven't! I have always prewashed and shrunk cotton fabrics but I took these out of the bundles and thought "Self, HOW does one preshrink these little things? Or does one preshrink them?"

Fortunately, I knew I'd find the answer here. I'm going to skip it for these and see what happens.

Thanks to all!
I put them in the tub, add hot water and a bit of soap and squish up and down. Drain and lay flat to dry
Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Neither have I. I have done what Harriet Hargrave taught me to pre-wash a test sample of a fabric and leave it to dry on a white paper towel. Occasionally, I have passed on using a navy blue and maybe a red but usually nothing else has a problem.
I will test for bleed on red...have chucked a few of those....and navy blue, and batiks( sometimes) by snipping a piece put in cup of hot water, if bleeds, I will not use it....that's the extent of my washing/ drying of fab.....maybe because no one in my life's circle has allergies......so I don't have to be concerned w/ chems either...... We each find the path we want to walk on....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:30 AM

I just put them in a mesh wash bag and wash at 40 degrees.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM

I first learned quilting from an older woman from Vermont who taught us to boil with salt and vinegar all of our fabrics. It is smart to do this with like colored fabrics. You can actively see the color bleeding of blacks and reds greatly. it certainly is a lot of work........but the extreme hot water does strink the fabrics without the violent agitation, and the salt and vinegar work as color mortants. Hand wash with mild detergent and dry. I'm sure most people will revolve over this extra work. I know that if my quilt tops are going to shrink, it will be minimal and there is no color bleeding.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:13 AM

This is one thing I love about we quilters....We may all do things differently, but we're all after a common goal: to create. And we all can respect each others differences. And learn new things.
Regards,
Kif
PS And generally we all say "No quilt police needed, thank you kindly. Lol
Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 AM

To pre-shrink , fade and bleed test= I don't usually pre-wash FQs but when I do it's in the sink with hot water and a few drop of liquid laundry soap, soak for 5-10 minutes, swish, rinse, squeeze out excess water then squeeze out again with "iffy" pieces rolled in white paper towels. If there is any color transfer I do it again. Toss I hot dryer until almost dry then stack and lay flat while pressing one at a time. After all these years I have only had problems with one fabric line-I loved this fabric and all that was available was FQs - I bought a lot! It was tone on tone in NAVY and in RED the lighter tone was a dragon fly pattern. It bled, faded, schrank and every crease fold faded !
Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Neither have I. I have done what Harriet Hargrave taught me to pre-wash a test sample of a fabric and leave it to dry on a white paper towel. Occasionally, I have passed on using a navy blue and maybe a red but usually nothing else has a problem.
This seems to be a perennial question and discussion. The answer seems to be "do whatever suits you best." I never prewash anything except reds and now that we have color catchers, don't usually do that. If the fabric is in small pieces, it ravels all to strings and if it is in large pieces, it takes forever to iron. I agree with maniacquilter. froggyintexas
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I have now decided I I'll also wash rick rack. Some of those trims also shrink. Puckers bother me .
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

I've always prewashed, I guess because that is what I was taught to do when learning to sew as a teenager. Old habits die hard.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:11 PM

I never pre wash. I throw in a couple of color catchers when I wash the quilt and things come out fine. The only fabric I prewash is flannel and I only use that when someone gives it to me. I find there is minimal shrinkage, not enough to worry about.
I was taught to prewash but I always wanted to play with my fabric as soon as I got home so I quit years ago.