Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric bundles >

Fabric bundles

Fabric bundles

Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am a smoker but only outside & I wash my hands before I go into my sewing room, the few quilts I've made the people can not smell any smoke on my quilts. My problem is buying fabric at Estate sales that have that musty smell to them. It's the only time I prewash (other than obvious bleeder fabrics) and then usually with vinegar, baking soda & detergent the musty smell comes out great. I was recently given 2 big tubs of fabric with the smell so I went out & bought 2 mesh bags to wash the scraps in. Hopefully I won't have to throw out too many tangled messes.
Hmmm - how do you tell which fabric will be "an obvious bleeder fabric"? I have had at least one of EVERY intense color bleed. And some that I thought would spill color were as stable as could be.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I guess some might call me crazy too, but here goes...... I have been quilting since 1975, and I have never pre-washed my fabric! I sometimes wash my quilts after they have been quilted, to get that crinkled look, but not always, and I have never ever had any problems of any kind.
same here, although it's only been about 10 years for me. I give color catchers to the recipients of my quilts if I think the fabric will bleed - so far so good - no ruined quilts!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Hmmm - how do you tell which fabric will be "an obvious bleeder fabric"? I have had at least one of EVERY intense color bleed. And some that I thought would spill color were as stable as could be.
Dark reds, dark navy, brown ect like you said intense colors I also wet a paper towel & rub the fabric.