Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric paint - how does it hold up to use and washing? >

Fabric paint - how does it hold up to use and washing?

Fabric paint - how does it hold up to use and washing?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Mostly in fabric painting instructions I've seen advice not to use handpainted fabric for quilts that will be used (and washed).

Now I'm aware paint isn't dye and kind of 'sits on top of the fibre', so I'm assuming it won't stay on for hundreds of washings and centuries and centuries... But I'm kind of thinking in lifetime terms, not heirlooms and museums and all that.

So I'm wondering - for those of you who paint, have you used your fabric in lap or bed quilts? How did it hold up to use, how did it age if you washed it occasionally?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Can't speak for quilts but I'm still wearing a t-shirt that I painted over 20 years ago and all the colors are still there. You need to either use paints that say "fabric paint" or add "fabric medium" to the paint.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Interesting - I purchased a bunch of t shirts from an artists years ago that painted different greyhounds on shirts - they looked great until I washed them the first time - they were a pale image of what they originally looked like - I bet he didn't use a fabric medium on them
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Fabric paint or paint with fabric medium should hold up to many washings. I have done lots of fabric painting and never had any problems with paint fading.
Be sure you heat set the paint. This a necessary step to insure paint adheres to fabric. When heat setting place a pressing cloth or paper towel over painted surface before touching with iron.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Interesting - I purchased a bunch of t shirts from an artists years ago that painted different greyhounds on shirts - they looked great until I washed them the first time - they were a pale image of what they originally looked like - I bet he didn't use a fabric medium on them
Cool! I'd say T shirts see more serious use than a quilt and with it being knit (and therefore stretchy), it would probably be harder on the paint than with a quilt. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Fabric paint or paint with fabric medium should hold up to many washings. I have done lots of fabric painting and never had any problems with paint fading.
Be sure you heat set the paint. This a necessary step to insure paint adheres to fabric. When heat setting place a pressing cloth or paper towel over painted surface before touching with iron.
Great thank you.

Yay!! This is encouraging.

:-D
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM

I have used fabric paint and markers all the time, Have never had a problem with them not lasting for a reasonable time.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Great info...thank you!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM

I know regular paint never seems to come out of clothing! Why is that? LOL
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Go to Dharma Trading Co and get Procion dye w thickener.
Stays bright forever & looks great. Dharma gives a lot of info.