Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Preferences >

Fabric Preferences

Fabric Preferences

Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

Default Fabric Preferences

One of the blogs I follow posted a photo today of a WIP that incorporates several "stash" fabrics with a focal fabric that she also had in her stash, and the results are stunning. The blogger made the comment that she usually works in one fabric line for each quilt and doesn't usually branch out on her own to choose fabrics. This brought to mind another blog post I read recently where the writer encouraged her readers to eschew the "one fabric line" notion and to choose fabrics based on scale, color, and how it fits with a focal fabric. I learned to quilt in a time where fabric collections didn't seem to be nearly as prevalent as they are today. Or, if they were readily available, maybe I just never realized it. I have sort of fallen into the "use a single line" lately because I love fat quarters, but after reading the blog post about choosing fabrics based on how they go with the focal fabric, I split up all my fat quarter bundles and "filed" them with the rest of my FQ's. Well, except for one selection of yellow, black, grey and white I've been collecting to make a quilt with ...

But I was wondering, how do all of you choose fabrics? Do you tend to stay with one fabric line or do you choose whatever tickles your fancy for your quilts? How do you feel about fabric lines, and if you use them, do you use only the fabrics in the line, or will you incorporate solids/marbles/blenders that aren't part of the line?

This topic seems to be big among bloggers (recently I've seen several different bloggers take up the gauntlet) so I'm curious what this community thinks ...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM

It is rare that I run across a line where I want it all, so don't buy many precuts. That said, I might choose 2 or 4 out of a line, then fill in with what I have that I think works with it, and will shop for things to add. Collecting fabric in this way is one of my favorite things to do in quilting. I'm one of those that feels that using one line takes a little bit of the creativity out of the process (not to say I haven't done it though - and will likely do it again!)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM

I don't buy any one fabric line at all. I buy if a fabric catches my eye, but, I don't buy the coordinating fabrics. I add the fabric to my stash and when I want to use it, I will look through my stash to find fabrics I liike with it.That way I have a totally unique quilt, one that no one else will have.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I have been trying to use from my stash. Most of the modern fabrics have to used with their collection because they do not go with anything else.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM

I buy only for projects. I don't think I've ever bought even a partial line for a single quilt. I usually find my focal fabric first and then determine what from that I want to highlight/lowlight and go from there.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have been trying to use from my stash. Most of the modern fabrics have to used with their collection because they do not go with anything else.
Oh now see, I'm not sure I agree with that ... it almost makes me want to yell "Challenge Accepted!" a la Barney from How I Met Your Mother and see what I can do with a modern focal fabric without using the rest of the line.

Or maybe I need to get out more ...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM

I love pre-cuts and can't hardly resist them - one of the appeals is the collection and taking all the guesswork out of choosing colors so if the collection appeals to me then I must have it. I love fat quarter bundles and if you keep an eye out you can get good deals - I scan many different web sites when looking for collections so I can check prices. I tend to love Moda, Riley Blake, Free Spirit and others. That being said, if I am out shopping at my LQS - they do not have pre cuts - I will choose fabrics based on what I like - I just pick up whatever and add it to my stash. I usually don't buy for a specific quilt but like to have many fabrics on hand when I do need them.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Oh now see, I'm not sure I agree with that ... it almost makes me want to yell "Challenge Accepted!" a la Barney from How I Met Your Mother and see what I can do with a modern focal fabric without using the rest of the line.

Or maybe I need to get out more ...
Okay, I will leave them in the store for you. I guess I should have said, they do not go with anything in MY stash.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM

I buy all lines of fabric. When I see a fabric I love I don"t care what line it is from I just buy it. My quilts have several in them. I have only made one or two from the same line.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM

I believe it's a huge creative disadvantage to limit consideration to a single fabric line. Some of the best coordinates I've ever found have been not only across lines, but across manufacturers. I have way too much fun playing with color, texture, scale, value, and motion to let some designer dictate what fabric I use with what.