Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buying Preferences >

Fabric Buying Preferences

Fabric Buying Preferences

Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Default Fabric Buying Preferences

Which fabric buyer are you? Do you see the exciting new lines and snap up coordinated groups (paying full price) as soon as they come out? Or do you wait and troll the sales, getting great prices and pretty fabrics, but not the ones that really get you going?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Occasionally I see something in a new line that I MUST have, but I still look for deals online. I am signed up on many email lists and if I see something I had been craving, I take advantage when I can. However, the financial situation will be changing for me soon and I will be using more stash and shopping for special deals. I am a good shopper and can find name brands sometimes for about $5 yard later (usually only partial collections). I must admit I am a fabric snob and prefer the name brands because from my experience the quality is better. Some of the inexpensive stuff I've gotten elsewhere isn't as nice once washed or seems to fade faster. I have no problem at all springing for premium muslin to stretch my stash and do see many scrap quilts in my future. I can deal with the budget cuts, but refuse to give up my much loved hobby.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM

I purchase batiks, so I shop when they are on sale...........usually..........but then, there are precuts. That is usually the only thing I think of buying full price. Quilt shows are another story, it's pretty much a free for all if I see something new.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Sometimes I'll see things I really like in the new fabric collections. It's probably a subject matter in which I'm interested, such as music, cats, or beach,but it would be rare that I would want the whole collection. Usually I would shop the sales, just picking up things I need to finish a quilt.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:22 PM

When I first started quilting, it was much harder to wait. Now, I wait and troll the internet and usually find many dollars cheaper than original price. Just need to be economical when I can and now realize that something I "have" to have now (and didn't buy) can easily be replaced by something that has come out and is newer and better! The longer I quilt, the more patient I get.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:49 PM

There a some lines of fabric I can resist and buy paying full price. Most of my fabric is purchased on sale , and it is no less lovely than those I paid full price. .... It just that I am soooo weak when it comes to some lines of fabric.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM

I bargain shop very snobbishly lol. I buy kona when it isn't on sale with coupons in bulk from Joann's and I buy my precuts off eBay or a really good sale. I just got AMH fabric bundles on sale and with a bonus buy. I do get cheaper quilters cotton at box stores for simple things like bags for kids because they are so hard on them I make a million. But I always shop with coupons or sales. I prefer more bang for my buck.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Occasionally I see something in a new line that I MUST have, but I still look for deals online. I am signed up on many email lists and if I see something I had been craving, I take advantage when I can. However, the financial situation will be changing for me soon and I will be using more stash and shopping for special deals. I am a good shopper and can find name brands sometimes for about $5 yard later (usually only partial collections). I must admit I am a fabric snob and prefer the name brands because from my experience the quality is better. Some of the inexpensive stuff I've gotten elsewhere isn't as nice once washed or seems to fade faster. I have no problem at all springing for premium muslin to stretch my stash and do see many scrap quilts in my future. I can deal with the budget cuts, but refuse to give up my much loved hobby.
I TOO am on a limited income and because of a recent move, I am saving $200 a month. I haven't bought much fabric in the last 10 years. But even with the little extra income, I still am very wise and careful in purchasing fabric unless it is on sale and it is something that I know I can use in the future. I just bought some Hoffman fat quarter batiks in browns and aqua. Looking to purchase a rich brown for the background of a falling charm quilt for charity.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM

If I see something I just love and have to have I buy it. Otherwise I shop quiltshops.com You won't believe the difference in some prices for the exact same fabric.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM

If I see something that I have a specific purpose for and fell in love with the fabric I buy it when I see it. Otherwise I shop sales at the quilt shops. We have a quilt shop that is going out of business. I'm waiting for the fabric to be 50-60% off. At that point I will purchase at least 1 1/2 yards of any of the fabrics that are in the lines that I want. If they aren't there then no big deal.