Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

It depends on my project. If it is a back for a quilt, I look for sale fabric at about $6m. Sometimes I buy the wider back fabric on sale and runs about $15 on sale. For fabric tops, I am trying to use mostly from my stash. If I need something to go with it, I usually try to find something between$10 and $15. If I need a special accent, I have paid $20m. The fabric in my area is about the same at my LQS on stuff in stock. The new arrivals have gone up and I simply can't afford to buy fabric for a whole quilt at $16 to $20.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I pay the high prices. I shop at LQSs. I never go to thrift stores (we don't have any) or yard sales or Craig's list. I buy online also, but from Fat Quarter Shop and other places that aren't cheap. I guess I don't mind paying what they are asking. I think it's a fair price now a days. I pay $10.99-$11.99 per yard. I see Connecting Threads is having a sale on some of their fabric for $2.96 a yard, and I almost bought some, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I bought some fabric from them about 3 years ago and didn't care for it and gave it all away, so I'm staying with the stuff I know. I don't know if CT sells better fabric now or not, but what I bought before, you could see through it. It was soooo flimsy. I really don't mind paying for fabric. I'm not rich, by any means. I don't buy a lot of fabric, but when I do, I try to buy good quality. And I refuse to step foot in Walmart. I won't buy anything at all that Walmart sells. Even if TVs were on sale for $50, I wouldn't go in there. They have hurt our town so much...closed down so many stores downtown...vacant buildings everywhere now. All because of Walmart.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM

I can live with $10 a yard if it's a pretty focus fabric, but I had to pay over that for a blender for sashing. That hurts. My average? $5-6ish. I buy a little at full price, some at $6 a yard and more at $4. One LQS has ongoing clearance at that price and one had one Tuesday a month with a lot of fabric at that price point. My LQS prices are jumping. The afore mentioned Shadowplay went from $8.99 to $10.49 and the batiks jumped even more.

I have a three yard piece of bright blue Hawaiian print in the dryer right now that was $.50 for the whole thing, so that helps my average. Yard and half of pink corduroy for $.59. I bought it give to my daughter to sew jumpers for her GDs, but if she doesn't want it, it can go in a pink flannel quilt.

No WalMart shopping here, but I do go to JoAnn's. I trust myself to pick out decent fabric.

Last edited by irishrose; 08-01-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM

I would have to say my average ( taking into account all purchases) has increased about .75 -1.00 per yard... Up until last year or year and a half if you waited .. and timed some of the online sites sales .. .there was still fabric for under $4.00 per yard ( discontinued, aged inventory) . Finding a major brand around or under $4.75 for a disscontinued/aged is a thing of the past... The selection is not much better at $5.00 per yard...and LQS in my area only discount down to about $6.50 for really really aged inventory. I would guess that about 50 percent of my purchases are disscontinued/aged .. but top manufactures.
Just an FYI .. I fell in love with a particular fabric .. went on the hunt .. found it at LQS ... for $14.00 per yard... I had not seen $14.00 per yard .. that set me back in my chair so to speak... and even though I was obsessed with it ... I left it there... came home and fell in love again with a stash piece.

Last edited by Lori S; 08-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM

I am extremely jealous of you US girls. Here is Australia the usual price at the LQS is $24 per metre (a metre is 39" long as opposed to 36" in a yard). The larger fabric shops are usually around $18 to $20 mark but sometimes do have half price sales - that is when I stock up big time.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Hmmm ... tough question for me because I honestly don't typically pay attention to the prices. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I almost always notice the price when something is on sale and there is a notice saying "$6.00/yard" - but I VERY RARELY check a bolt, and I rarely check the sales slip (I know I SHOULD - errors do happen!!).

Because I try to buy so much on sale, and I *think* my LQS still averages $9.99/yard for new stock ... considering the new stuff I've purchased and the sale stuff, I would hazard a guess that I paid an average of around $7.00/yard. That includes online shopping (only when it's on sale).
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM

I buy mostly online, and usually pay between $5 to $7 per yd. Once in a while if I see a "must have" I will go up to $9 but it has to be pretty special. I can't afford to buy at LQS much as I would like to support them. My Walmart has just increased their fabric section and I did find some good quality fabric there a couple of weeks ago for about $5, so that's a good sign.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Prices have definitely gone up. Right now, I'm working from my stash. So, that helps. But, when I have to buy to cooridate, I try not to spend over 6.00 per yard.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

As prices continue to go up and up, I have to be careful about what I can buy. I am blessed to have a store in CT that sells fabric for 2.99 a yard, {everything in the store is this price}, and although all is not great, there are some awesome quilting fabric in the mix. The store is a distance from me so I don't get to go as often as I would like, but when I do, it's a real treat for me and I will stock up with as much as I can afford. Also I go to the {back rack} at my LQS for 50% off too.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Back in US, I buy from Joann's, and a couple of online stores. I suss out sales, so it is basically the same thing, but at a big cut. My motto is, buy at a good price and stash away, as opposed to buy when you need it. Build a fabric library and shop your stash for your projects. Ditto with online stores. Fabric.com has great clearance sometimes. I get to buy Westminsters, Free Spirits, Hoffmans, Bernatex, etc at $4-5/yard, why not?