Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't have WalMart fabric if they gave it to me. One of my quilting teachers gave a lecture about their fabric & it really slammed my eyes open (the inferior greige goods -- I think they're called -- used, the fading). Nope... not if they gave it to me.

Walmart isn't a quilt shop. Why do people think that? It has a fabric dept. and most of the fabric is for crafts. I have found quality quilt fabric at Walmart mixed in with the craft fabric. People don't educate themselves enough to know what they are buying an then complain about it like it's Walmart's fault for selling it. LOL. I like shopping at Walmart, Target or any other store that lets me keep more of the money I've earned in my pocket. I'm not a fan of mom and pop stores. I grew up with only a few stores to shop in and you bought what they wanted you to buy, no choices at all. I remember my grandmother asking about a new product and the store owner said he'd never order that to sell because it may sit on the shelf and not sell at all. He wasn't going to waste his money on stocking new products. About that time a Howard's Discount store came to town and there were choices!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 AM

I pretty much pay what I have to to get what I want- but have been pretty lucky to get mostly good (for these days) prices on what I want. The other day I ordered some Riley Blake chevron fabric on-line and it was $10.90 per yard -YIKES - but I had to have it to complete a baby quilt. At one of our local quilt shops the fabric prices are averaging about $11.00 a yard, and at anothe they are almost $13.00 per yard on average. I live for most of the year in a pretty depressed, rural area of Michigan, and just can't figure out how the second store can even stay in business. Their inventory is very small (although beautiful) and very pricey.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 AM

I usually get fabric at JoAnn's when it is on sale or I have a coupon, but I bought a new Babylock Evolution serger and got 60 yds of fabric FREE from my LQS. It is spread out to 10yds/mo. for 6 months!! I was going to get the serger anyway, so that was a great deal for me. I also went to a local estate sale and found a carton of fabric (they had lots) that totaled to about $22, but when I went to check out they only charged me $5. There were probably 10-15 yards of fabric in there. Guess I had a good summer with fabric!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM

I am nearing retirement also and I know I won't be able to buy fabric then so while I still can I am going to stock up. I have quit buying fat quarters. I have so many and I don't know what to do with them. My LQS has a back room with several racks of sale bolts on them. She turns her stock around fairly quickly and we benefit from that. She also puts patters and notions on there and keeps her front for current and new things. I like kits and have many of them now and if I can I buy extra fabric to match just in case I cut something wrong which I usually do. I think the prices are definately going up and have gone up. I thought I would never see the day that fabric would be 9-11 dollars a yard but it has. Quilting is expensive but if you have a business then it's not really ha hobby.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I buy fabric from just about every "major" brand out there. I also buy from Connecting Threads & have never been anything but pleased with their fabric. I don't find it flimsy in the least. I do find the colors are rather unique... kind of like Jinny Beyer colors are unqiue, but that's no biggie.

I wouldn't have WalMart fabric if they gave it to me. One of my quilting teachers gave a lecture about their fabric & it really slammed my eyes open (the inferior greige goods -- I think they're called -- used, the fading). Nope... not if they gave it to me.

I buy way more fabric than I "should" but I do try to get it on sale.
Would you buy fabric at Jo-Ann's that is the same as fabric at Wal-Mart? If you wanted it, I mean. Just yesterday I saw fabric at Jo-Ann's (a green and white dot) that I bought months ago at Wal-Mart. At Jo-Ann's it was $4.99/yd. I paid $2/yd at Wal-Mart. Same.exact.fabric.

Not trying to change your mind, just wondering.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 AM

I purchase QS quality fabrics, theres a couple places I order online, but shop the sale fabrics that average $6-$7 a yard.
Occasionally I have to purchase full price fabrics, $10.00 a yard, but keep these to a minumum.
Quilting is an expensive hobby, I won't skimp on quality fabrics, so I purchase sale fabrics, rather than buy cheaper fabrics. Too much time and work goes into making a quilt to use poor quality fabric and have fabric failure a couple years of use. If I purchase fabric online and if it isn't good quality, I send it back, and make sure I don't order from them again. My LQS no longer has sales, so it's necessary for me to buy online. With gas at $3.50 a gallon, it makes no since to drive all over to purchase fabric. Everyione has their own ideas when it comes to fabric purchase.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 AM

I usually buy on sale, but it has ranged from 3.50-9/yard, depending on the fabric and the discount.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM

My avg is probably $6-7 yd. Bought only a few yds at full price in LQS lately ($10-13 here). I wait for shop sales and buy things online when I can't find locally. One LQS doesn't have sales anymore, don't know how they're making it really ... I can't justify spending that much for new fabric, when I have a good stash waiting to be used!

But keep in mind how lucky we are, compared to our friends overseas!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 08-02-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM

My average fabric cost is probably $5 - $6 per yard. I buy a LOT from Hobby Lobby (30% off and quality fabric). I buy the occasional LQS fabric and always check the sales bin, at WM, where I've often found nice Cranston fabric!

I'm buying a lot more fabric this year, than last, since I once again have sewing space. Didn't buy enough, last year, to be able to judge.

Last edited by Neesie; 08-02-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 AM

If the fabric is an awesome have to have, I will pay the asking price. I am thinking that the prices have remained about the same as last year. I do like shopping at my LQS because I like to feel the quality of the fabrics. The average price I have paid for LQS fabrics is about $12 a yard. I don't count Joanne's or Walmart because I feel the quality and selection is poor, and rarely purchase fabric there.