Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

jcrow, Instead of blaming Walmart blame the ones that run the city for letting them come in. We had the same problem in a local town here with McDonald's.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

I haven't been to a LQS or any other fabric store in ages! I have a dear friend that lets me order online and he picks up the bill for me. He lives in New York and has envited me up this October, he took me to the fashion District a couple of years ago, prices aren't as bad as one would think. You can bet I'll be going back on this trip too!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM

I don't "stock up" or stash fabrics really so I buy for projects and look for what I need for them. I have no qualms about paying full price for something if it is really worth it to me. I also won't buy cheap fabrics just because the prices are cheap. To me that is false economy. However, when I find really quality fabric on sale, that's a huge bonus!

I'd say my average cost of fabric has been around $15 a yard, but bear in mind I make a lot of clothes too- baby things, dresses, swimsuits for my girls, etc. and those fabrics tend to be pricier than quilting cottons. Not always, but usually.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Wow, we all come from different angles, don't we? I buy according to price and feel/look of fabric. If it is more pricey, I buy less, if it is under $6/yard, I buy more. If it is a fat quarter above $2 I have to really like it. I pass up a lot of fabric. I don't have any problems going into Walmart or JoAnn's... but I am selective. So many people do not have the money to even buy what I buy on sale... There's so much gorgeous, yummy fabric out there being produced every day and I just don't have the buckos to buy it all. But, if I did..... A girl can dream, can't she?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

LOL, if this keeps up, we may all be back to using old clothes for making quilts!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by His_Grace View Post
LOL, if this keeps up, we may all be back to using old clothes for making quilts!
That's funny! I may have to dig into my bins of fabrics leftover from when I made clothes! Otherwise, I try to buy fabric on sale - both online and in the stores in my area. I'm guessing that my average is around $8 to $9 a yard. I do have trouble paying over $2.50 for fat quarters. I've taken to buying yardage instead. It is a bit daunting to see fabric over $12/yard.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

The fabric around here is over $11 yard now. I don't buy any fabric now uless I have too and even then I only buy what is on sale
I also consider going back to an old hobby of mine instead of quilting if the prices keep going up.
Carol in Delaware
I don't have UFO's I have PhD's. (Projects half Done). and I'll be so smart when I finish working on my PhD's.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
Was at my LQS this week and one of the fabrics I checked was $12.49!!? There was nothing special about it...it was just a plain cotton fabric. I prefer buying from my LQS as I am always pleased with their fabrics. I will get notions and other items at Joanns with my coupons. I usually try to shop the sale fabric, use coupons, and buy online where I can get free shipping. It does help to keep the costs down but I may have to consider a new "hobby" if the fabric costs keep increasing. I think my average may be around $8-9 a yard.
I think you all should check out WalMart's fabric dept. if you haven't lately, & if yours has fabrics now. I am very impressed with their selection & quality here in OKC. Around $5 a yd. And even batiks for $8 or $9. It's so much better than it used to be. I guess all the complaints they got from sew-ers & quilters woke up the powers that be. They are even working on being more organized than they were. I've bought several pieces from them & am quite happy.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM

I both quilt and sew, so I have lots of fabrics. Recently, I was asked to sew long jumpers for three little girls. I got the fabric from Connecting Threads and it is sewing up beautifully. They barely need pressing right out of the dryer! My dil made her first quilt from fabric from CT and it's very nice--and wonderful for a first project. I also buy from local shops (expensive), Hobby Lobby, and Fat Quarter Shop. Average price is around $9 a yard.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I usually won't pay over $6 a yard unless it's a for the focus fabric in a quilt. Then I don't mind paying more if I have to have it. I do subscribe to many BOMs and the fabric is expensive for those kits. I can find name brand fabrics on clearance somewhere online for $6 a yard. I don't care if it's an older line. I shop by color not by design. I buy 80% of my fabrics at a fabric distributor warehouse. My guild members and I buy bolts and swap yardage from each bolt. It's usually about $2.95 a yard by the bolt. $1.95 a yard if we buy flat folds.
WOW, how in the world does one get to buy fabric at a distributor warehouse?? Seriously, is there a trick or membership or something within reach for the common girl? I'll wear a pumpkin on my head for prices like that! Where do you live, where do you buy, would you like to adopt me?? hehe giggle