Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Here in Aussie the average for good quality fabric is $23 - $29 unless you are lucky enough to get it on sale then usually half price.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I lived in Orlando (well, Lake Mary) eons ago. Is that neat little quilt shop in Sanford still open? It was a GREAT shop!
Where in Sanford?? I live in Lakeland and will be going up to Winter Springs next week to visit at my son's!! I would love a side trip!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:09 AM

I paid $9.00 a yard yesterday for a nice Christmas blender and a pink and white on black print and I paid $10.50 a yard for a poinsettia on black print last Saturday.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM

I try to keep it under $8.00 a yard. Luckily, my stash is extensive. My BFF and I shopped at a favorite LQS just about every 2 months that was always having a sale. She said we were buying for our retirement. Here I am retired, and glad I have what I have because the closest LQS is now selling at $13.00 an hour. I won't pay those prices, with the exception if I was looking for a special small amount of fabric I needed for a special gift. Just this year I've become best friends with Connecting Threads. I saw their earlier fabric from years past and the current selection has hugely improved in quality, color, design and selection. Have also enjoyed buying charm packs. Love putting together a lap quilt with them. It satisfies my need for a large selection of new prints without breaking the bank or rupturing my overburdened stash boxes.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 PM

The prices are going;;; alot of LQS will go out of business. I really do not believe that fabric actually cost that much; I think its called greed. I won't pay more than $6.00 per yard.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:31 PM

I agree with Nan, don't forget that as the wholesale cost of fabric rises, so must the LQS prices. I'd rather pay more for quality fabric.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM

I have bought very little fabric this year because I was on a buying binge last spring getting oriental fabrics. For the little quilt shop fabric I bought this year, I'd say average was $8-$9 a yard. I don't buy batiqs.

The prices aren't bothering me since I'm focused on finishing projects already started or using fabric I already have. If I need to buy fabric, it is just a purchase for background or finishing.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM

I have been really lucky on EBay. Got some beautiful Kansas Troubles Fat Quarters for 1.00 each! The shipping was only 5.95 as she put all 24 in a Flat rate envelope. I stop in Lancaster when I go by, but their stuff is getting high now too. Connecting Threads and Hobby Lobby are two of my favorites.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM

Fabric is 28 euro a metre here in Germany. I went to Karstadt in Wiesbaden yesterday and brought some for 4 euro-deep discount. I usually pay about 6-8 dollars a yard. I ordered from Favorite Fabrics last month and will probably continue to do so because the prices are pretty fair.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by quiltapillow View Post
The prices are going;;; alot of LQS will go out of business. I really do not believe that fabric actually cost that much; I think its called greed. I won't pay more than $6.00 per yard.
It's not called greed, it's called "trying to survive." Wholesale prices for high-quality LQS fabric (not the stuff you get at Wal-mart and Joanne's) are at or above your so-called limit of $6/yd when you factor in the cost of getting it into the shop. (We have to pay shipping too).

To sell at your theoretical maximum of $6/yd, most shops would be losing several dollars/yd when factoring in selling expenses.

If you're buying LQS-quality fabric at $6/yd, the shop is losing money on that sale, and is just trying to re-capture some cash to survive the month.

It's not greed.