Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I would hate to try to run a business now -

Along with the cost of inventory - and how much of that does a shop NOT sell? - and as customers, we think a well-stocked shop is much better than one without much to choose from -

There are all the associated costs -

Along with the amount on a paycheck that an employee sees, there are other employer expenses that many employees have no idea about!

Along with trying to satisfy all of the governing agencies demands - and trying outguess what the tax rules will be in the near future!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 AM

You can't ever know the full story of anything without hearing...and actually listening to...both sides. QKO, Favorite Fabrics and the other shop owners that are members here try very hard to give us a view into their side of the fabric world. I, for one, greatly appreciate the time they spend educating us about the bigger picture. Thanks, Don!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Thank you, QKO, for once again posting a reality check.

There are stores that carry only closeout fabrics, which they *can* bring in at less than $6 / yard; you can't get anything that's nice quality, by the best names in the business, for less than about $4 / yard EVEN in closeout status. And by the time fabric lines reach closeout status, the best of the prints are already gone. Which means that what is left is very hit-or-miss.

And isn't it nicer to walk into a shop and find a whole bunch of fabrics that go together? Especially for newer quilters, who still have a hard time selecting coordinating fabrics, and who may not have a big stash to draw upon. A shop can't offer this kind of selection by buying only closeouts.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM

With regards to Walmart fabrics - we all buy what we can afford. I make a lot of charity quilts, and much of the fabric comes from Walmart. If it wasn't for Walmart, I probably wouldn't make charity quilts.

I also shop online and in the local quilt shops. I have found some of the same fabrics in the lqs as in Walmart, but for more money.

In the end, where you shop is and what you pay for fabric is a matter of preference and pocketbook.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM

I just put in an order for almost $600.00 worth of blender fabrics at Connecting Threads. I have always liked their fabric and the fact that they are a USA company makes me happy to support them. They are having a sale on their mirage and solid fabrics right now at $2.96 a yard. Definitely stocking up time for me. I won't need to buy more for a long time. I do buy from my LQS at least once a month, but not a whole lot. I too have a hard time swallowing $11 or more a yard when I know I can go on-line and get the same fabric for less. I will usually buy a little at the LQS and then go on-line and find it for less. That way, I already know the color and the feel.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie View Post
I just put in an order for almost $600.00 worth of blender fabrics at Connecting Threads. I have always liked their fabric and the fact that they are a USA company makes me happy to support them.
I don't understand what you mean by the "they are a USA company" comment. None of their "manufacturing partners" are located in the US, making them no different than anyone else in the business.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
QKO

Thanks for clarifying that, ghostrider.

Connecting Threads fabric is manufactured in Mexico.

Every quilting fabric design house and distributor in the USA is a USA company, and every one of them has their fabrics manufactured off-shore. There are a few manufacturers left that make fabrics in the USA, but none that I'm aware of make quilting fabric. I've never tried quilting with Kevlar fabric.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You can't ever know the full story of anything without hearing...and actually listening to...both sides. QKO, Favorite Fabrics and the other shop owners that are members here try very hard to give us a view into their side of the fabric world. I, for one, greatly appreciate the time they spend educating us about the bigger picture. Thanks, Don!
Ditto. Well said. I buy fabrics everytime I am out at the LQS, and quilt shows.
I buy what I like when I see it. Mostly batiks, yes.
I live in the country so our local lqs's get good business so we don't have to drive an hour.
Prices are around 8-10 a yard depending then the sales racks when they bring in a new line is 6.00/yd...was 5.00yd

Thank you to the store owners here who give us food for thought on life on their side of the cutting table....
We just don't know it all.
And for those who can only afford certain fabrics, thats ok. I will never be a fabric snob.....I love sales.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM

There are other factors that may contribute to an additional rise in fabric prices in the near future.

The US Postal Service defaulted on a $5.5B loan repayment to the Federal Government on August 1st, and says they don’t expect to have the money for a second $5.6B payment due in September. Shipping rates for everyone may go up, especially on-line shoppers.

Due to a recent antitrust settlement on July 13th against Visa and Mastercard, Merchants will now be allowed to apply a surcharge at checkout if you pay with a credit card, in all but 10 states that have laws prohibiting merchant surcharges. (Oklahoma is one of those 10 states.) The settlement must still be approved by the U.S. District Court, which may not happen until late 2012 or early 2013, but if approved, both on-line and B&M stores in states allowing surcharges may begin charging an additional fee for the use of credit cards for payment of fabric.

Now may be the time to stock up on fabric.....

CD in Oklahoma

Last edited by ThayerRags; 08-05-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Replaced the word "store" with the word "stock"
Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Hi

Here in Australia we pay $22 plus for our meter ( 3' inches mor than a yard) this is why I sent to US for my material.