Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric questions >

Fabric questions

Fabric questions

Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 AM

Don't forget that many on-line fabric stores are also LQSs to the people who live near them. I buy exclusively on line now that my LQS has closed, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, especially if you don't have an LQS option.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 AM

I like Hancock's of Paducah (online) and Keepsake Quilting, NH. They are also online.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Inexpensive (as in lower $ cost) and "cheap" fabric are not always synonymous.

Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher for learning what one considers to be "good" fabric.

Incidentally - one of the most expensive cottons I ever purchased was a very finely woven, almost "see-through" batiste that I purchased for a baptismal gown/dress for my babies.

Also, I think the word "quality" should always have a modifier with it. Almost everything made has "quality" - good, bad, or indifferent.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM

Connecting Threads has some good fabrics at a reasonable cost. Marshalls dry goods are good too. And great customer service.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Do you have a quilt shop near you?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 AM

To all who gave advice for determining quality fabric, thank you! As a beginner, I focused on color and pattern for small projects like table runners. But I am moving on to bigger quilts and would be very disappointed if it all fell apart while I am still on this earth.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I consider myself a very experienced "buyer" of quilting type cottons - I still occasionally bring something home that I was disappointed with later.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:39 AM

I can't afford most of the LQS fabric. But, if you know what you want, you can find it on-line on sale. Go to quiltshops.com and type in the word "sale" after you describe the material you are looking for. They will give you all of the quilt shops that have that fabric on sale. I have done this numerous times and have never been disappointed yet.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Hi Jmes4kids
Lots of good advice here. I just wanted to add that, like someone else said, lots of LQSs sell online too. You can even find sales online that aren't always offered in the brick & mortar. Also, there are online shops that sell fabric exclusive to them...you won't find anywhere else. My fave of these is hawthornethreads.com They have quality fabric and unique prints.
Don't forget that when shopping online you have to pay attention to the KIND of fabric you're looking at. Many sell knits, flannels, home dec and lots of other fabrics too. I once bought canvas thinking it was cotton. Used it for a tote.
And don't forget to enjoy......
Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM

I love cotton fabric and hope you can use it and don't let the price be a barrier. Cotton is soft and comfortable. It is hypoallergenic and won't irritate sensitive skin or cause allergies. The fibers are spun tightly into yarn that won't irritate skin or cause static electricity. For these reasons, items that you wear frequently and close to your body, like T-shirts and underwear, are usually made of cotton.Cotton is all-natural and doesn't contain chemicals. Natural fabrics like cotton fabric are highly breathable and allow air circulation that discourages fungi from growing in dark, moist environments. Synthetic fabrics don’t offer such ventilation, and constrictive garments in man-made materials can encourage yeast to flourish.