Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric ripped >

Fabric ripped

Fabric ripped

Old 12-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Unhappy Fabric ripped

I sewed the binding in a Christmas quilt I made and turned it to the back to hand sew it on. I sewed the first corner and sewed across the row only to find that the corner fabric had ripped cleanly in half, so that it is on each side of the corner, but not connected.

This has never happened to me before and I’m at a loss as to what to do, especially when I checked the other two corners and they were ripped, too. At no time did I manhandle the quilt and the fabric was purchased in September. It wasn’t cheap fabric, but a brand name.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what did you do?

Please help, someone!
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM

My goodness! Can you post a picture please? I have never experienced or heard of this happening before.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I have not had any fabric rip like that even with older scraps. Do you have enough of the fabric left to bring it back to the store with the quilt? Not an option if it was bought online, I would ask the online company if they can give you a refund. As for fixing, you might be able to appliqué in new pieces?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I can't understand what happened without a picture. When you say split in half, the whole quilt, batting top and backing? Or the binding split or just the top?
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Just a thought-did you trim the bulk out of the corner and maybe cut wrong? Not that i ever did that........
Old 12-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I can't picture in my head what you are talking about.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM

I never had an experience like you are describing, but if I did and it was fairly new fabric, I'd complain... loudly if necessary! You should get your money back at the very least.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM

Can we get a picture?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:26 PM

It was probably not caused by trimming the quilt incorrectly. That might happen on one corner, but is unlikely on three corners.

The only suggestion I have is what others have suggested. If you have enough of it, take some back to the store you bought the fabric from and ask for your money back. It would help if you still have the receipt. You have nothing to lose by asking. You may not get all your money back, but even an adjustment would be nice at this point.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Are you talking about the binding? Was your binding cut on the bias or on the straight grain? Is the split right at the point of the corner. I cannot picture this. Are your corners mitered? If so, is the tear on right on the fold of the 45 degree angle? Have you used this fabric elsewhere on this quilt or anywhere else? If you have a piece of it left, can you test it for strength?